Road Bike VS Hybrid Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aberal

Guru
That was my point - pros all on same bike (more or less in terms of type, weight, spec etc), the fitter, stronger one with better technique will beat the others - i.e. rider rather than bike :smile:

So you reckon Cadel would have won the TDF on a sit up and beg with basket? You don't do you. I don't either. Bike rather than rider.

vickster

Legendary Member
No, he won because despite being on the same bike as everyone else, he is a better cyclist! Rider, not bike in this instance :smile:

Actually, who is he?

S'okay, just googled him

Norm

[QUOTE 1512453"] In my original definition about what a Hybrid I said ''typically'' not will have. [/quote]"Typically" or not, most of those bikes (Sirrus, Princess, Mixer) don't have any of those qualities, demonstrating the deficiencies in the term.

[QUOTE 1512453"]Maybe next time Norm you'll come up with your own definition rather then cherry picking someone else's.:rolleyes: [/quote]And maybe you'll notice that I've already said that the term is meaningless because it is so vague.

If I was to define what I think people mean by "hybrid", I'd say "flat bars, two wheels, one at each end".

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
eye of the beholder, or pen/keyboard of the marketing bod, for example:-

take a top end road bike and replace the drop bars with flat bars, and the trimmings - do you still have a road bike or is it a hybrid?

Or, is it just a bike that has certain qualities that make it more, or less, suited to certain types of riding?

I enjoyed drop bars but elbow issues, and the angle the bars provide, just didn't like me. So my road bike now sports a set of these:-

http://www.jonesbikes.com/h-bar.html

hideous to some but immensely comfortable, I still have an identical tops position and the 3 main side positions equate to hoods, corners and rearward of corners, the latter being the position you get instead of the drops. Because I have the loop version I also have an additional forward aero position if needed. The angle of the sides is the key for me and seems to allow me to ride without my elbow getting progressively achier.

It's not complete as I'm waiting on parts from the US so, at present, it's trigger shifters, brakes and grips rearward of the loop, with the 'tops' wrapped in bar tape. Once the parts arrive then the shifting will be via thumb shifters mounted on the top corner and brake levers just behind. Then the rest of the side will be wrapped in bar tape. This will give me the 3 distinct positions from which the brake lever is still reachable. Should be similar to this but with the bar tape going further up:-

http://jonesbikes.com/blog/?attachment_id=736

so, hybrid or plain old monstrosity? :biggrin:

Thomk

Guru
One of the bikes which I posted bears some resemblance to what you posted. My point, though, was that both the Sirrus and the Scott Sportster are considered "hybrids", along with the Pashley Princess and the Charge Mixer. Other than the Sportster, they don't have MTB geometry, MTB wheels or MTB slicks and I don't think either the Mixer or the Princess have eyelets for panniers.
Charge Mixer 2010/2011 has eyelets for a rear rack and guards (2011 has guards) although I believe the 2009 didn't have either.

stevetailor125

Here we go, latent snobbery rearing its head, alot of road bikers turn their noses up at other cyclists and have appalling arrogance, constantly out to scalp the poor pleb on a hybrid or other

Hey if you've ever seen me cycling uphill with 2 dodgy legs then an old lady on a old 3 speed can scalp me :biggrin: :biggrin:

Top Bottom