Road Bike VS Hybrid Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John90

Über Member
To be honest, I think the rider's fitness and technique is far more important than the bike...look at the pros, all have the best bikes but some are far better than others

Nail being hit on the head by hammer i would say, and that says it all don't you think

I don't know about far better. I suspect at pro level the difference between good and 'bad' is actually quite small.

I've seen a few threads on here saying 'it's the person not the bike'. But then there are also plenty that talk about how vastly superior road bikes are for speed. And if the differences between bikes are so small why does anyone other than a competitive cyclist spend a grand or more on a bike rather than buy (for example) one of the options the OP linked to?

vickster

Legendary Member
But I assume at the pro level, there is a pretty big difference between the top pro and the bottom pro - so say #1 in world vs. the #1000 but they still ride similar bikes?

I bought the road bike I bought as I wanted something totally different to my Specialized hybrid...and I probably have more money than sense :whistle:

I would say there is a big difference on the road on a grand road bike versus say a £300 MTB...speed and comfort...but a pro on that £300 MTB would still thrash me on my carbon road bike :blush:

Norm

I increased my speed by nearly 20% on one of my bikes, just by changing tyres. I improved imes by 5% on another just by going clipless, but my commuting time over 10 miles was barely different between a road bike, a cyclo-x and a 20 year old MTB.

Speed depends on surface, gradient, junctions, traffic, fitness, destination & incentive, wind... and a whole lot more. However, (up to a point) an expensive bike with better kit works, feels, and looks (let's not deny vanity) so much better that some people think it's worth it, even if the engine is still too old, too heavy, smokes too heavily and drinks too much "fuel". :biggrin:

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Here we go, latent snobbery rearing its head, alot of road bikers turn their noses up at other cyclists and have appalling arrogance, constantly out to scalp the poor pleb on a hybrid or other

Shock over reaction
wacko.gif

aberal

Guru
To be honest, I think the rider's fitness and technique is far more important than the bike...look at the pros, all have the best bikes but some are far better than others

Nail being hit on the head by hammer i would say, and that says it all don't you think

Nope. Nail missing head by a mile. Cadel Evans would not have won the TDF on a hybrid, mountain bike or sit up and beg bike with basket. He needed to be riding the equivalent bike of all his near competitors for his fitness and technique (and strength, stamina and mental endurance) to bear fruit.

The same moderately fit man riding the same road route in the same weather conditions on a road bike, hybrid and mountain bike will complete the course in this order:

1. Road bike.
2. Hybrid.
3. Mountain bike.

The advantages of lighter weight, thinner tyres and aerodynamic position on a road bike will increase his speed through the reality that is physics and nothing else. All other things being equal. Enjoyment - a sensory, subjective thing will also increase. IMHO.

A hybrid - in its original form, is simply a mix of road and mountain bike, offering the advantages of both but ultimately being neither one thing nor the other. People buying their first bike often gravitate towards them. Good for the country lanes and byways, they surmise, but it will also take you down the tow paths and farm tracks and bumpy lanes. Which they do - and no harm in that. They also make for the ideal commuting bikes, and possibly cheque book touring. Thick tyres for the crappy urban roads and flat bars with the brakes and gears always within easy reach see to that.

But for fun - sheer unbridled thrills on two wheels, nothing really compares to a quality top of the range, road bike. Effortless light and fast and that's where the fun is to be found.

Off road - nothing compares to an MTB. But that's another story.

John90

Über Member
I increased my speed by nearly 20% on one of my bikes, just by changing tyres. I improved imes by 5% on another just by going clipless, but my commuting time over 10 miles was barely different between a road bike, a cyclo-x and a 20 year old MTB.

Speed depends on surface, gradient, junctions, traffic, fitness, destination & incentive, wind... and a whole lot more. However, (up to a point) an expensive bike with better kit works, feels, and looks (let's not deny vanity) so much better that some people think it's worth it, even if the engine is still too old, too heavy, smokes too heavily and drinks too much "fuel". :biggrin:

I think that's right, certainly in the city. I often get passed out by road bikes on a clear piece of road but I generally catch up with them at the next lights (unless they you-know-what). Rarely does a cyclist on the same route as me get completely out of sight unless they are willing to do things that I won't.

As for aesthetics, I like the look of MTBs. Add the benefit of a smoother ride and the greater exercise benefits over a fixed distance and they're the best choice for me.

OP
OP
P

paulb55

Über Member
How about a 29r?

Hi Rykard,

When you say 29r, are you saying change my tyres from a 700 x 38 to a 700 x 29, can i do that on my bike???????, and will it increase my average speed

vickster

Legendary Member
Nope. Nail missing head by a mile. Cadel Evans would not have won the TDF on a hybrid, mountain bike or sit up and beg bike with basket. He needed to be riding the equivalent bike of all his near competitors for his fitness and technique (and strength, stamina and mental endurance) to bear fruit.

That was my point - pros all on same bike (more or less in terms of type, weight, spec etc), the fitter, stronger one with better technique will beat the others - i.e. rider rather than bike :smile:

OP
OP
P

paulb55

Über Member
I think that's right, certainly in the city. I often get passed out by road bikes on a clear piece of road but I generally catch up with them at the next lights (unless they you-know-what). Rarely does a cyclist on the same route as me get completely out of sight unless they are willing to do things that I won't.

As for aesthetics, I like the look of MTBs. Add the benefit of a smoother ride and the greater exercise benefits over a fixed distance and they're the best choice for me.

Hi John,

Why would you get greater exercise benefits over a fixed distance on a hybrid (MTB) ??????????

Ian 74

Road bike wins by knock out in the 3rd round hybrid didn't stand a cat in a rocking chair factory's chance, he was slightly over weight and obviously didn't have the speed or power to beat the well bred road bike.

:tongue:
angry.gif
:tongue:

Top Bottom