Road Bike VS Hybrid Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've seen hybrid used to descibe anything from a flat-barred road bike to a MTB with slightly less knobbly tyres.

looking at the specialized crosstail comp bikes they look closer spec'ed towards a MTB than road bike. with 700x45c tyres and just shy off 14kg bike, with front suspension is going to slow you down a little.

where as a road bikes are less then 10kg and 23 or 25mm tyres and without suspension it is going to faster.

i moved from a hybrid to a road bike and i find it is faster and hills are easier than before.

best thing to do is try and borrow a road bike from a friend to have a ride on one, or go and have a test ride on one at your price range and make a decision on your findings.

used the following bikes for my answer.

specialized crosstrail comp
and
specialized allez 16 road bike

I've seen hybrid used to descibe anything from a flat-barred road bike to a MTB with slightly less knobbly tyres.

Yup.

I've got an older Giant Escape, basically their hardtail frame of the time with a rigid fork and (26") slick tyres. Giant sold it as a hybrid.
My son has a Carrera Gryphon. A flat barred road bike. A hybrid
Hybrids from opposite ends of the hybrid spectrum.

OP
OP
P

paulb55

Über Member
looking at the specialized crosstail comp bikes they look closer spec'ed towards a MTB than road bike. with 700x45c tyres and just shy off 14kg bike, with front suspension is going to slow you down a little.

where as a road bikes are less then 10kg and 23 or 25mm tyres and without suspension it is going to faster.

i moved from a hybrid to a road bike and i find it is faster and hills are easier than before.

best thing to do is try and borrow a road bike from a friend to have a ride on one, or go and have a test ride on one at your price range and make a decision on your findings.

used the following bikes for my answer.

specialized crosstrail comp
and
specialized allez 16 road bike

Good explanation terry, i got the spaecialized comp as i do a fair bit of road cycling but when i see a canal tow path i just have to go on it so it suits me for that purpose.

I recently changed the tyres from 700x45 to 700x 38 and find that makes a slight difference but could i go lower on the tyres to say a 25 as you state

The only thing that is stopping me from getting an all out road bike is that i love to change my rides from road to canal tow path etc and yes, i must turn off the front suspension when i am on the road, which i can do on this make of bike

Cosmicned

I pondered this very question for ages - so I ended up with one of each! I find if I'm off on a dryish weekend 25+ mile jaunt, it's the road bike - but it's not much good for my short six mile commute - way too twitchy for dodging the traffic... that's where the hybrid comes into its own- I've got two Boardmans... the Hybrid is not too far removed from the road version anyway in 28c vs 23c tyre size - a few pounds heavier maybe but the disc brakes & inherent maneuverability have saved my bacon in many a tight spot hacking to work... just my two penneth... :thumbsup:

John90

Über Member
The term hybrid is becoming obsolete isn't it? Replaced with 'city', 'urban', 'commuter', etc etc as the market differentiates to fill every niche and persuade us to buy the +1 we think we need, just as Marx predicted.

I think you should all come to your senses and buy a good sturdy MTB. A bike for all seasons.

OP
OP
P

paulb55

Über Member
I'm no expert, but they are all cheap road bikes aren't they?

yep you're right there, that's for sure, but for a first road bike well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vickster

Legendary Member
Just do what I did and spend £1300 on your first road bike :rolleyes:

I had a Crosstrail sport, heavy lump of bike for road riding. Sirrus is my daily hack hybrid, quicker than the Crosstrail certainly, but won't beat a roadbike

To be honest, I think the rider's fitness and technique is far more important than the bike...look at the pros, all have the best bikes but some are far better than others

OP
OP
P

paulb55

Über Member
Just do what I did and spend £1300 on your first road bike :rolleyes:

I had a Crosstrail sport, heavy lump of bike for road riding. Sirrus is my daily hack hybrid, quicker than the Crosstrail certainly, but won't beat a roadbike

To be honest, I think the rider's fitness and technique is far more important than the bike...look at the pros, all have the best bikes but some are far better than others

Nail being hit on the head by hammer i would say, and that says it all don't you think

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah but you still need a road bike as your n+1 :whistle:

The Specialized Allez range are at a good price right now

Norm

[QUOTE 1512409"] A Hybrid is a bike that has been designed to incorporate different facets of the various cycling classes that exist within cyling with the sole aim to give the user a bike that can be used as a multi purpose bike (with respect to terrain) and in all weathers. [/quote]Sounds like a cyclo-cross to me.

[QUOTE 1512409"]Typically this involves:

Flat barred MTB geometry for comfort and toughness.

MTB wheels that can take a MTB slick

Higher gear ratio for speed.

Wider gear ratio for off roading.

fitted lugs for taking a pannier.
[/quote]I'm not surprised to see that list which has several things many would disagree with, specifically, MTB wheels and pannier lugs.

And the reason that I despise the word hybrid, which manages to be meaningless, useless and positively harmful at times. These three are all described as "hybrids" and they range from the Spec Crosstrail, a rigid mountain bike which would be good on all surfaces, to the Charge Mixer, which would struggle on even rough tarmac.

One of these would fit many people's first thoughts when the word hybrid was used, with 700c wheels and 28mm road tyres.
specialized-sirrus-elite-2011-hybrid-bike.jpg

A great bike, the Sirrus, I'd love to have one but 700c wheels with 28mm tyres, linear pull brakes... it's a road bike with flat bars, it would be outclassed by the proper choice when it hit its first woodland climb.

Also called a hybrid is one of these.
scott-sportster-55-2011-hybrid-bike.jpg

Again, a fantastic bike but front suspension, disc brakes, 37mm tyres and a 28x32 bottom gear are not exactly ideal for a bike to be used on the road and, if the OP was riding one, I wouldn't be surprised that he was scalped.

Hybrid means so much that it means nothing. Rigid MTB, flat-barred road bike, cruiser, shopper, Dutch, step-through, these are all words which mean something. "Hybrid" could mean any of these designs and more, so using it, particularly for peeps who are wanting to know what bike to get, is not helpful. Going back to your original response, Lee, if you thought about it you might realise how much saying "the clue is in the name" showed that you didn't really think about it at all. A "hybrid" between a road and an MTB could be a cyclo-cross, a fixie, a Charge Steamer, a Pashley Princess, a... well, people take it to mean so much that it means nothing.

IMO.

Top Bottom