Road bike with triple chainset:any recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mik

I'm looling for a decent roadbike with a triple chainset and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for me. Budget is about £600-1000

or would it be better just to go with a compact?

Im just concerned that will find myself 1/4 of the way up a hill with no where left to go xx(

aJohnson

I like my Trek 1.5 Triple...

However, I've never really gone to the lower cog, then again I've not been up any long very steep hills yet.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I have a triple on my Giant SCR2.0

The triple on my bike is 30/39/50 (top two rings are, therefore, the same as some compacts). I've used the granny ring on it a couple of times - I don't use it a lot, but I'm always glad it's there...

Mortiroloboy

Go for a compact chainset and get a medium drop cage rear derailleur which will allow for a slightly larger low gear cog, say 13t 27t that combination of 34t 27t will get you up most hills, well it would round here, but then there is hills, and then there is hills

You can always get off to walk, it's not illegal to do so!

Someone will be along shortly to challenge that last statement, and hopefully give a fuller explanantion of gear ratios, but essentially a compact generally has 34 teeth on the inner ring and 50 teeth on the outer ring, the rear cogs come in a wide variety ; 11t 23t/ 11t 25t /12t 25t /13t 26t/ and so on, different manufacturers have different groupings.

I run Campagnolo gears on both my road bikes, they are both set up exactly the same with a compact 34t 50t chainset and a 13t 26t cassette, this suits my terrain.

Downward

Guru
Another Triple v Compact debate ?
I can't decide which one to go for either. Still waiting for my voucher !
But £600 - £1k is a fair leap in budget EG The Trek 1.2 is £600 and the 1.7 is £950.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
After the White Rose Challenge this year I'm decided.....

My next bike will definately be a triple. You may only use the granny ring a couple of times (depends on where you live); but having one and riding up the hills is much better than not having one, and being passed by everyone else riding up the hills.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Don't listen to people who say you don't need a triple. If You want a triple, then get one.

I have just ordered on of these

mik said:
I'm looling for a decent roadbike with a triple chainset and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for me. Budget is about £600-1000

Im just concerned that will find myself 1/4 of the way up a hill with no where left to go :ohmy:

i've also got a Giant SCR 2.0 with a triple, changed the original 12-25 to an 11-34 and now i can get up all those pesky hills that were eluding me!

you need to enjoy what you're doing on a bike. if you're hating inclines because you don't have the gears, then change your gears so you can enjoy!

bonj2

mik said:

Im just concerned that will find myself 1/4 of the way up a hill with no where left to go ;)

have a look at condor cycles, they dont' list any as having triple but they build them up i think so i'm sure they'll put you one on if you like.

OP
OP
mik

mik

thanks for all your responces and suggestions..youve certaintly given me some food for thought...however being the wrong side of fifty I have decided I had better go with the triple chainset as I suspect that the law of diminishing returns will be coming into play when faced with some climbs.... so once more unto the catalogues dear friends

lukesdad

No reason at all ,if, by compact cassette you mean close ratio road cassette. Compact refers to the Chainset imported from Mtbing

Top Bottom