Road bike with triple chainset:any recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonathan M

Ribble can supply any of their bikes with a triple subject to the groupset you choose having a triple option.

Triple vs compact is purely down to choice, I run triples, I'm not an overly fit rider, I don't race, I ride for fun and to improve fitness, and if a triple gives me a bail-out option that means I can ride a hill rather than walk it, then I'm all for it.

Weight is slightly more with a triple bike, but seeing as I currently weight 16st I feel that I have a lot of weight to loose before I start being bothered about the weight of my bikes!

De Sisti

Veteran
Order a triple from Spa Cycles with 50/34/26 chainrings. That way you'll have
the ratio of a compact with the bailout granny ring. That's what I've done on
one of my bikes.

jimboalee

Jonathan M said:
Ribble can supply any of their bikes with a triple subject to the groupset you choose having a triple option.

Triple vs compact is purely down to choice, I run triples, I'm not an overly fit rider, I don't race, I ride for fun and to improve fitness, and if a triple gives me a bail-out option that means I can ride a hill rather than walk it, then I'm all for it.

Weight is slightly more with a triple bike, but seeing as I currently weight 16st I feel that I have a lot of weight to loose before I start being bothered about the weight of my bikes!

Of course it is.

You make the choice after studying the map to see what hills are to be climbed.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
jimboalee said:
Of course it is.

You make the choice after studying the map to see what hills are to be climbed.

Well when I bought my first ike a few years back I had no idea thet I would be taking it up the Ventoux and Tourmalet so the local map may not be too useful.
At 50+ I would agree with the OP that he should err on the side of caution with a triple.

jimboalee

rich p said:
Well when I bought my first ike a few years back I had no idea thet I would be taking it up the Ventoux and Tourmalet so the local map may not be too useful.
At 50+ I would agree with the OP that he should err on the side of caution with a triple.

Which local maps? The Ventoux and Tourmalet or Brighton?

rich p

ridiculous old lush
jimboalee said:
Which local maps? The Ventoux and Tourmalet or Brighton?

Exactly my point!

jimboalee

Take for instance when I go to my other house is South San Francisco.

I don't plan a cycling trip up into Marin Co. by unfolding the OS map of Stratford upon Avon!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
jimboalee said:
What point?

Only an idiot looks for Mt Ventoux on a map of Sussex.

jimboalee said:
Take for instance when I go to my other house is South San Francisco.

I don't plan a cycling trip up into Marin Co. by unfolding the OS map of Stratford upon Avon!

You really are a very rude man, aren't you.

My point, in answer to your assertion that when deciding on gearing, you shoud look at a map of where you're going to ride, was that I didn't know ,when buying the bike, that I would be taking it up Ventoux and Tourmalet 5 years later. The local map, which was where I started riding it would have been of little use , as it turned out.

I shall leave that as my last word on the thread and you can abuse somebody else and show off your massive intellect and technical expertise to those who can be bothered to wade through it.

jimboalee

rich p said:

I am only rude to those who post what are worded to be sarcastic and stupid comments.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
isn't it weird, I like Jim and like, and have met, Rich, yet they don't seem to get along. Last time I thought Rich had got the wrong end of the stick this time it's Jim.

Jimbo, the original post from Rich was fair comment and I thought the posting style amusing as well, and he's not a Nun!

jimboalee

I've cooled down now.

My post ( #20 ) said "You make the choice after studying the map to see what hills are to be climbed".

Rich's post ( #22 ) said "so the local map may not be too useful".

This was confusing because in my post #20, I did not refer to the 'local' map. I initially thought Rich meant the local map of the two mountains and it did not follow that the local map "may not be too useful".
My secondary thoughts were that Rich was being flippant and sarcastic for no apparent reason. Or had he? Maybe Rich's comprehension of my post #20 was that it was a bit abrupt. It reads that way after review, and I apologise.

Abrupt maybe, but very valid. A good look at a contour map of the intended route is sensible. Estimating the gradients and subsequent gear choice ( with necessary changes ) is the mark of a seasoned and experienced cyclist.

Luckily in this day and age, most OTP bikes come with a wide enough range of gearing to accommodate all but the steepest of insane hills. In past years, mass produced bikes came with 'fashion' gears which were far too high and totally wrong for beginner - average cyclists.

We won't go into the 'witchcraft' thing again. It has been seen a triple or Compact chainset with a sizable cassette is indeed 'overkill' for hills without a single chevron on the OS map.

Top Bottom