Road bikes on canal?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Which canal?;)

The Rochdale Canal/Calder-Hebble Navigation has parts of it tarmacked, designated a cycle/greenway an it'd be fine, at the other extreme the Lancaster Canal has no towpath or indeed any water at some points and would poise significant problems for any bike!:laugh:

OP
OP
S

speedygoo

I'm in Birmingham where we seam to be mainly either Tarmac which is fine or a sandy compound with the occasional bump, maybe it's a case of try it and see

On a similar surface I've used 28c, but not 25 or 23. I'm on 32c now and find it a lot more comfortable than the 28c.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I commute every day on the Birmingham and Fazeley canal from Aston Science Park to Aston. I use a road bike with 23C wheels.

When I say every day, I tend to avoid wet days with puddles to avoid getting the bike too dirty, and light drizzle tends to make the bricks very slippy. Bike was seriously skittish this morning and a few scary moments, but no tumbles.

Biggest problem is the bridges - watch out for riders coming blind from the other direction. Don't forget to warn on your approach - I use bell and voice.

I suspect that the hard packed fine stuff has a tendancy to eat my chains, though.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
cycle boat.jpg
This should be OK for canals..........OK I'll get me coat

OP
OP
S

speedygoo

Thanks for the advice I'll give it a run on some 25's and see how it goes that fine packed stuff is a chain killer for sure.

I don't take 23mm equipped bikes off tarmac.

I agree. I know that you can, and may get away with it with no issue, but IMO 23mm are for tarmac'd roads only. For what it's worth I've ridden 35mm happily on a towpath, but wouldn't have expected otherwise!

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I have used,without problems, 23 & 25mm tyres on the towpath from Barlaston to Kidsgrove,It is a mix of hardpack,tarmac & paving of various types.

Buzzinonbikes

I rather foolishly once did the Manchester - Runcorn leg of of the Trans-Pennine trail on 23c tyres. And it was really wet.
It was actually not too bad, just not as grippy as perhaps a wider tyre might be.

Top Bottom