Road bikes vs rider weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i got a 36H handbuilt wheel for £90 (re-used my old hub though) at my LBS so not really any more than a half decent factory jobbie.

lulubel

Über Member
I gues I'd have to try the carbon forks myself but from what I have seen carbon doesn't looks a little brittle? I know it's strong stuff but it flexe more than alu n steel

There's a contradiction there. Flexing isn't a sign that a material's brittle - in fact, quite the opposite.

(Not that I know much about carbon. My preference is for steel.)

Doesn't sound cheap!
I was quoted around £200 to build a pair of Open Pro rims, (32 hole I think), with 105 hubs, but I wanted the Hope hubs instead, big mistake, the freehweel is so damn noisy!

The Halo Aero Rage wheels are cracking value IMO. A rear wheel from Wiggle is currently £107.99. It's built with 32 double butted spokes, sealed bearings and a 6 pawl freehub assembly. In a nutshell pretty much bombproof.

I've used them for a few years now, and part from having the rear one tweaked once after hitting a sunken grid they have run perfectly true at all times. I can't recommend them highly enough :thumbsup:

I gues I'd have to try the carbon forks myself but from what I have seen carbon doesn't looks a little brittle? I know it's strong stuff but it flexe more than alu n steel
Watch the video in this LINK Biglad. I became very anti-carbon, even though I used to have cf bikes, but this video demonstrates the strength of cf very well, and should placate any worries you or anyone may have.

Granted it cf does let go then it does so in style from all accounts, but the chances of it happening are next to none. Although I still avoid it were I can but that's now just out of preference. I'd never entertain a cf seatpost though with my @rse!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
280 is nothing ^_^

Look at how much this guy weighed and what he rode:

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/

He is also a member here I believe :biggrin: Truly inspiring story.
I never get bored of looking at his site!

OP
OP
Biglad82

Biglad82

I was quoted around £200 to build a pair of Open Pro rims, (32 hole I think), with 105 hubs, but I wanted the Hope hubs instead, big mistake, the freehweel is so damn noisy!

The Halo Aero Rage wheels are cracking value IMO. A rear wheel from Wiggle is currently £107.99. It's built with 32 double butted spokes, sealed bearings and a 6 pawl freehub assembly. In a nutshell pretty much bombproof.

I've used them for a few years now, and part from having the rear one tweaked once after hitting a sunken grid they have run perfectly true at all times. I can't recommend them highly enough :thumbsup:
As quoted, still not a cheap option by any means, don't want to be paying upwards of nearly £400 for a bike and then have to spend another £200 on wheels, :eek:

OP
OP
Biglad82

Biglad82

Watch the video in this LINK Biglad. I became very anti-carbon, even though I used to have cf bikes, but this video demonstrates the strength of cf very well, and should placate any worries you or anyone may have.

Granted it cf does let go then it does so in style from all accounts, but the chances of it happening are next to none. Although I still avoid it were I can but that's now just out of preference. I'd never entertain a cf seatpost though with my @rse!
That pretty much puts my mind at ease lol

I'm not saying you should get them straight off. Ride the wheels that come on the bike to destruction, but be aware that if you use the bike regularly they probably won't last very long. So with that in mind start saving to replace them when they do pack up.

Wheels are the main area where all manufacturers save money, and IME it doesn't matter if you're spending £300 or £3000, they still tend to srimp on the wheels, and wheels are a defininate case of getting what you pay for. Cheap wheels, (and the Aero Rage or custom ones quoted are FAR from expensive, but I appreciate your comment), will need regular tweaking under normal use IME.

As I say, use the stock wheels for as long as possible, and in the meantime save up so you can replace them when you need to :thumbsup:

Judderz

I went for the 105 hubs, 32h on CXP33 rims, quiet as hell. Cost was £204, it was slightly cheaper for Open Pro rims (£180 IIRC)

@Biglad, 2010 I was just over 19st, and I'm also 6ft 3", I rode (and still have it as my winter bike) an Orbea, (alu frame and carbon forks) with no problems at all. I also had on it Shimano R500 wheels (24h each wheel), again with no problems. But as Smokeysmoo suggests, email/ring the manufacturers and ask their advice on weight limits.

Top Bottom