Road bikes vs rider weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nearly there

Veteran
The more spokes the stronger the wheel I take it ?.
Not so ive had 32 spoke wheels break on me and now ride 20 spokes less problem free so quality over quantity

lulubel

Über Member
It flexes more than steel or alu forks, hence I trust it less, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong on a test ride with carbon forks

My point was that materials that flex aren't typically brittle. A material that's brittle is one that shatters (rather than flexing) under load.

In my experience, the steel forks on my current bike flex a LOT more than the carbon ones on my old bike did, to the extent that it's hard to check if the headset is loose because there's so much give when you rock the front end.

To give you an idea of how strong carbon can be, earlier this year, I was in a crash where I went into the side of a car at nearly 20mph. The front wheel collapsed, and the aluminium downtube on my bike bent with the force of the impact, but the carbon forks appear undamaged. I would never trust them again now they've been in a crash, and they've been replaced along with the rest of the bike, but they didn't fail at the moment of impact.

gary in derby

most defo mate, blooming quiet at work at the mo so lots of free time and no inclination lol. maybe theres a new post there somewhere.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Carbon forks are fitted to aslmost every Alu road bike above a certain price point. I have seen a few broken / cracked frames but the forks dont seem to be an issue. What they are good for is absorbing some of the road vibration giving you a more comfortable ride.

sabian92

Über Member
It flexes more than steel or alu forks, hence I trust it less, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong on a test ride with carbon forks

Flex is actually good. If it didn't flex then it would shatter - like how planes wings flex. If they were completely rigid there'd be a lot more planes falling out of the sky!

View: http://youtu.be/Ai2HmvAXcU0

Not exactly the same but you get my point - if they were rigid they would have snapped pretty much straight away.

Carbon fibre will not shatter under your weight. 20st is a fair weight but it's not a massive amount - carbon is designed to be strong and light which is why racing cars and exotic sports cars are built from it.

Sandra6

Veteran
I can only comment on the carrera tdf -but I think you'll find it too small. Not from a weight perspective, but because of your height.
I had a customer looking at one yesterday- he'd ordered a medium, but wondered if it was going to be big enough -it most certainly wasn't! Got him on the large, which was fine, but he was only 5'10.
Best thing is to go and have a sit on a few and see which one groans the least:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Biglad82

Biglad82

I can only comment on the carrera tdf -but I think you'll find it too small. Not from a weight perspective, but because of your height.
I had a customer looking at one yesterday- he'd ordered a medium, but wondered if it was going to be big enough -it most certainly wasn't! Got him on the large, which was fine, but he was only 5'10.
Best thing is to go and have a sit on a few and see which one groans the least:thumbsup:
Yes I thought that looking at it it does look a little small

Top Bottom