Road bikes vs rider weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephen.rooke

carbon wont shatter under your weight. triban 3 is the best new biked under £600 and is fast as hell, and has gearing for all situations.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
280 is nothing ^_^

Look at how much this guy weighed and what he rode:

http://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/

He is also a member here I believe :biggrin: Truly inspiring story.
Way too kind

Op:blush: was around 22st on a Ribble audax

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm getting on for 19st, and I would have no worry riding the triban 3. What would be a good idea for you is to get a good spoke-key and learn how to true your wheels up as you will knock them out of true more often than these skinny lightweights on here.

I can't look at the triban on my work computer, but I seem to recall it has 32 spoke wheels. That should be plenty as long as they are half well built :smile:

sabian92

Über Member
Way too kind

Op:blush: was around 22st on a Ribble audax

Actually, I showed your blog to my brother in law to be (26 stone, big lad) and he has started to change his eating and exercise habits after I said to him "Look, this fella can do it so it shows anybody can". He's got a long way to go but thank you immensely for inspiring him.

OP
OP
Biglad82

Biglad82

I'll take a look. Cheers.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Actually, I showed your blog to my brother in law to be (26 stone, big lad) and he has started to change his eating and exercise habits after I said to him "Look, this fella can do it so it shows anybody can". He's got a long way to go but thank you immensely for inspiring him.
Hearing story's like that just inspires me to keep on pushing all the time, thanks for sharing

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Half the 'normal road bikes' out there are probably from the same Giant factory (well, the frames are anyway)... wouldn't get too caught up in the Giant are stronger thing. Many well known brands are manufactured by Giant and re-badged, as I understand it.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Just a word on tyre width. I heard on the TdF commentary on Eurosport that a lot of the teams are going from 24 and even 25mm tyres as they are now being seen to be faster as their weight is coming down. I then noticed the same info in cycling plus so I thought I'd try it as I'd burned my 23mm gatorskins.

I put on 25mm 4000s's and noticed no diffences in speed to the narrower tyre but a hugely nicer ride. Apparently for heavier riders (I'm 203) wider tyres deform less making a smaller contact patch them a narrower tyre that can't hold it's shape we'll.

So, so long as the tyre doesn't weigh a ton, it looks like wider tyres are a lot better for those of us not like wiggo in build.

Top Bottom