Road Bikes with Pannier Mounts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan Warwick

Hi all

I had been commuting to work for a about a year using my Father's 15 year old Raliegh Road Bike. However, I recently moved house and now live about 10 miles from work and as a result I've resorted back to driving to work. I've decided that I want to start cycling to work again. I'm looking to get an "entry level" road bike with pannier mounts (as I don't fancy using a back pack for such a distance).

I don't want to spend a huge amount but basically I have about £1000 to play with.

So here's the question... what bike would you recommend and what set up? I'm going to be carrying ~5 kilos on the back of the bike and in all weather.

I'm going to Manchester next weekend - birthday weekend with old uni friends - and hopefully I can treat myself to a new bike whilst I'm there. I'd just like some ideas as to what I should be looking for, and some general advice if that's ok.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice...

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I've got a Genesis Croix de Fer which is a perfect commuter bike IMO. You should be able to pick up a 2010 or 2011 model for your budget.

vickster

Legendary Member
2012 Giant Defy 2 will happily take a full rack if you want something a bit more racy :smile: Won't be as much as a grand, list was £800 - if you can find one

I've got the ladies equivalent for commuting and very happy with it :smile:

KateK

From my looking around...and I am a noob... you need to know if you want mudguards AND rack as some road bikes will take one or the other (it's to do with clearance as far as I can gather). Audax bikes typically take both as far as I can see. There is a Genesis bike that takes both....someone put a link on my recent thread (a new bike or not). There's something called cyclocross bikes too but i think they are heavier. Other more experienced forumites will know more.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ribble winter / Audax bike is worth a look. With Sora it costs £570, but the bikebuilder tool lets you change stuff - groupset, wheels, tyres, saddles, everything.
I've had one of these for about ten years and it's still going strong.

OP
OP
Dan Warwick

Dan Warwick

Hi all

I had been commuting to work for a about a year using my Father's 15 year old Raliegh Road Bike. However, I recently moved house and now live about 10 miles from work and as a result I've resorted back to driving to work. I've decided that I want to start cycling to work again. I'm looking to get an "entry level" road bike with pannier mounts (as I don't fancy using a back pack for such a distance).

I don't want to spend a huge amount but basically I have about £1000 to play with.

So here's the question... what bike would you recommend and what set up? I'm going to be carrying ~5 kilos on the back of the bike and in all weather.

I'm going to Manchester next weekend - birthday weekend with old uni friends - and hopefully I can treat myself to a new bike whilst I'm there. I'd just like some ideas as to what I should be looking for, and some general advice if that's ok.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice...

Top Bottom