Road Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Road bike through wind, rain, snow, hail and sun. I intended to use my Carrera Vulcan MTB in poor weather, but the road bike is just so much faster and more fun to ride.

Poor old MTB hasn't moved since early April 2008.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
jimboalee said:
Don't believe it.

I did a 100km DIY Audax on my Apollo County. Yes, all 35lb of it.
Went to the caravan site at Eckington. Pretty flat ride though.

Try to finish at 12.5 mph average, and succeed.:smile:

Well... thats some going!

Am sure I could... and have often thought about it... :biggrin:

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
I have just checked out my stats - On the Road bike getting to work about 4 mins quicker than the fastest time on the Hybrid, Going home it's only a min or 2 quicker but 15mph average - The last 5 miles were 18mph average.
One problem though is descending - I can't get faster than 31mph compared to 37-40mph downhill on the hybrid. This is down to a confidence thing I think, any tips ?

Davidc

Guru
Don't understand this thing about the wet. If the bike's properly lubricated then the cables, transmission, brakes etc. won't corrode. The rest just needs cleaning and drying as necessary. (I do use furniture polish for cleaning, which helps make the water run off).

Speed downhill is a confidence thing. Going fast all bikes I've ridden seem stable. It's going slowly where I notice a difference between bikes.

My confidence at speed seems to have dropped with age on all bikes, I now seem to get worried at much above 25 mph (but still enjoyed coming down off the Blackdown hills at up to 42 mph last week).

515mm

Got a ''wet bike'' and a ''dry bike''. Both roadies. Pointless referring to them as Winter and Summer - we get neither season any more.
Wet has 'guards and 25mm GP4season tyres - Dry is no guards and 23mm GP4000esses. Have more confidence decending on the ''drybike'' because it turns faster and flexes less than the ''wetbike'' On the wetbike I don't get dirty in the rain.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Just been out for the 1st time non commute on the Road Bike.
How do these stats sound ?
58 minutes, 13 miles, Climbed 1009 feet, Top speed 44.75mph

It was a bit windy and doing 40 + downhill caused my eyes to water so much I could barely see where i was going !

The big climb was 450 feet in 1.1 miles

jimboalee

Went to the Warwick Town bike races on my SWorks.

Wind was 8ish mph Westerly.

14 miles there in 45 minutes - slight tailwind.

Went to Henley in Arden for an ice cream before going home.
Return trip was 18 miles and that was done in 75 minutes - including the ice cream stop - just under 15 mins.

Got up Liverage ( 10% ) on 53 x 19 at 11 mph - with no wind under the overhanging trees.
From then on, A3400 was 'most speedy'.... mid twenties to thirty.

Monkspath Hall Rd has three Gatsos so had a go at getting a flash.. No luck.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Ha lucky cause I went up Clent and 2/3rd up the winds were terrible.
Romsley to the A456 is the worst decent ever just pure wind, shocking road surface and struggled to pass 30mph.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
i was up clent last night after work, wind wasn't too bad then. Roads are shocking as are all around stourbridge. I begrudge putting my mavics on them. Thinking of giving dudley council the bill for truing them! Lol

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
PJ79LIZARD said:
i was up clent last night after work, wind wasn't too bad then. Roads are shocking as are all around stourbridge. I begrudge putting my mavics on them. Thinking of giving dudley council the bill for truing them! Lol

The lanes were littered with tree debris, In the sunshine it was hard to see it on the road. But yes that Romsley to Halesowen Road B whatever it is is shocking, You notice it in the car and can see the state easier but on the bike it's shocking.

Do you do a Clent Route or just random routes ? I am looking to do a 10 mile loop maybe going down the A456 upto Clent on Hagley Wood Road and then down Ufmoor lane to the A456 again.
Will need to pace myself up Hagley Wood Road though to get up in 1 go.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Jeez Hagley Wood Road was hard work 16.7% gradiant according to the GPS. Had to stand to get up this on a compact . I think if I were to do any this steep a triple would be required or at least a rest !

Did see a Fawn though in the field

Top Bottom