1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road building question

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by gambatte, 29 Nov 2007.

1. gambatte

gambatte Middle of the pack...

This questions brought about by a couple of weeks cycling the new Sheffield inner relief road. A marvellous piece of engineering which appears to be faster by bike than car.:biggrin:

But….

anyone out there able to answer this?

The blacktop tarmac seems to be laid continuously. I guess we’ve all seen this being fed out of the back of the machines when a roads being resurfaced.

On this new road system the cycle lanes are red. This surface appears to be laid in 1-2 meter sections, which overlap. Therefore you’ve got cars with their fat tyres and computer modelled suspension on smooth roads and cycles on effectively a rumble strip. Keeps me off them.

Why can’t this be smooth?

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

They paint it on afterwards. It hardens instantly, and the slovenly road workers overlap the runs.

Just you wait until is starts to crumble off the surface. There's a road with it on here, and at the junctions where the cars have worn it down it'll shake your teeth out.

3. Maz

Maz Guru

On the subject of red paint on roads - I've seen double red lines in Solihull, W.Mids. What do these mean? It probably means I need to gen up on the highway code...

Those wacky Sillhillians!

4. Double reds mean no parking, no loading, no stopping for any reason. They make delivering stuff around, say, London lots of fun.

5. Maz

Maz Guru

Cheers, RT.
    You could probably add to that list 'no brummies'. :biggrin:

6. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

They need one of those machines that ripped up trees, crushed boulders and left behind an emaculate tarmac road, as used and seen in Thunderbirds! :biggrin:
    Tried, in vain,to find it on youtube! :biggrin:

You oldies will know what I mean! :sad: