1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road closed...

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Maz, 26 Feb 2008.

1. Maz

Maz Guru

On my way to work there's a road closed for going in my direction. Traffic is still flowing in the opposite direction. I have taken to riding the 'wrong side' of the roadwork bollards to continue using the road. Who else would do this instead of following the diversion signs?

2. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

I certainly would have in the past

I'm currently in a very fascist uber correct and legal mode where I behave like traffic so noI wouldn't do it unless the diversion was reeeeely long

3. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

Count me in.

4. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I would. Tynan, you say you are behaving like traffic, sounds like what you really mean is that are behaving as if you are in a car.

5. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

they closed the road just because it was going in your direction? :tongue:

next they'll be closing roads for giving funny looks! :biggrin:

6. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

I would.

7. Cab

Cab New Member

Depends. If its clearly safe to do so and not safe to ride outside of the cones, then yes. If its safe to ride outside the cones, then no.

8. spindrift

spindrift New Member

The barman in The Green Man Soho said he won't serve me tap water cos they're digging the drains up.

9. biking_fox

biking_fox Über Member

I'd probably try the diversion the first day. If it's really long, and or equally hazardous then I may well also ride up the cones - depending on how safe that feels what with any big holes in the road to fall into? I may also fume :tongue: grit my teeth and dismount and walk up.

10. magnatom

magnatom Guest

I'd probably take the diversion. If they were happy for cyclists to use it then it would say 'Road Closed - Except for cyclists'. Wouldn't it be great if they did do that! :tongue:

11. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

Magnatom, I thought you would have said that you would have taken primary position and then posted on youtube all the near misses / rants that the car drivers would have given you :biggrin:

12. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

no, as a road user

if the road is closed, it's closed, the cones are there to stop people using that part of the road

sure ride up the cones, up onto the pavement, whatever, really

but every driver that sees that sort of behavior is going to think that bikes aren't proper road traffic and are something in between

13. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Hmmpph, I suppose you're right! :biggrin: :tongue:

14. magnatom

magnatom Guest

I seem to be gaining a reputation :tongue:

15. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

"Smile peanut, you've just been Magnatommed. :biggrin:"