Road closed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
On my way to work there's a road closed for going in my direction. Traffic is still flowing in the opposite direction. I have taken to riding the 'wrong side' of the roadwork bollards to continue using the road. Who else would do this instead of following the diversion signs?

Tynan

Veteran
I certainly would have in the past

I'm currently in a very fascist uber correct and legal mode where I behave like traffic so noI wouldn't do it unless the diversion was reeeeely long

domtyler

Über Member
I would. Tynan, you say you are behaving like traffic, sounds like what you really mean is that are behaving as if you are in a car.

Cab

Depends. If its clearly safe to do so and not safe to ride outside of the cones, then yes. If its safe to ride outside the cones, then no.

biking_fox

Guru
I'd probably try the diversion the first day. If it's really long, and or equally hazardous then I may well also ride up the cones - depending on how safe that feels what with any big holes in the road to fall into? I may also fume :tongue: grit my teeth and dismount and walk up.

I'd probably take the diversion. If they were happy for cyclists to use it then it would say 'Road Closed - Except for cyclists'. Wouldn't it be great if they did do that! :tongue:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
magnatom said:
I'd probably take the diversion. If they were happy for cyclists to use it then it would say 'Road Closed - Except for cyclists'. Wouldn't it be great if they did do that! :tongue:

Magnatom, I thought you would have said that you would have taken primary position and then posted on youtube all the near misses / rants that the car drivers would have given you :biggrin:

Tynan

Veteran
domtyler said:
I would. Tynan, you say you are behaving like traffic, sounds like what you really mean is that are behaving as if you are in a car.

no, as a road user

if the road is closed, it's closed, the cones are there to stop people using that part of the road

sure ride up the cones, up onto the pavement, whatever, really

but every driver that sees that sort of behavior is going to think that bikes aren't proper road traffic and are something in between

domtyler

Über Member
Tynan said:
no, as a road user

if the road is closed, it's closed, the cones are there to stop people using that part of the road

sure ride up the cones, up onto the pavement, whatever, really

but every driver that sees that sort of behavior is going to think that bikes aren't proper road traffic and are something in between

Hmmpph, I suppose you're right! :biggrin: :tongue:

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Magnatrom, I thought you would have said that you would have taken primary position and then posted on youtube all the near misses / rants that the car drivers would have given you :biggrin:

I seem to be gaining a reputation :tongue:

Top Bottom