Road legal advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ugly78428000

Hello, I’m in need of some help with registering my engwe with the DVLA. I have printed the V55/4 form which is rather complicated and I have no idea where to get a certificate of conformity from? Has anyone else tried to make their bike road legal? ( tried to phone them but couldn’t get through) thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Does your Engwe conform to UK regs for e-bikes for road use ?
The V55/4 form is to register a new motor vehicle so is really outside the scope of this forum.

presta

Guru
I have no idea where to get a certificate of conformity from
I suggest asking either the retailer who sold it, or the manufacturer. Does the retailer not register it for you, like any other motor trader?

(My money is on there being no conformity, and no certificate, because the manufacturer relies on people being willing to buy them and use them illegally.)

OP
OP
U

ugly78428000

Does your Engwe conform to UK regs for e-bikes for road use ?
The V55/4 form is to register a new motor vehicle so is really outside the scope of this forum.

No, the engwe is 750 kw and max out at 30 mph so it’s classed as a moped,, l really want it legal but it’s hard work sorting it would be easier if dvla weren’t so unavailable

classic33

Leg End Member
No, the engwe is 750 kw and max out at 30 mph so it’s classed as a moped,, l really want it legal but it’s hard work sorting it would be easier if dvla weren’t so unavailable
You need to put it through the MSVA. See here https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/throttle.283167/page-6
for some details. With the CEO of one company explaining how they do it.

Be advised, there are "extras" that come if you get it approved.

Best of luck.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @ugly78428000

I'm afraid that you may have a struggle with this. The certificate of conformity needs to come from the manufacturer or the importer to show that the bike has been tested and certified that it meets the UK regulations for mopeds. If they haven't had this done then registering it is going to be tough.

OP
OP
U

ugly78428000

Hi and :welcome: @ugly78428000

I'm afraid that you may have a struggle with this. The certificate of conformity needs to come from the manufacturer or the importer to show that the bike has been tested and certified that it meets the UK regulations for mopeds. If they haven't had this done then registering it is going to be tough.

OP
OP
U

ugly78428000

Thought so thanks

classic33

Leg End Member
With regards to the DVLA contact part, I sent the staff in the local office, Leeds, nuts trying to get "The Beast o'Burden" registered. This was prior to the last change of the rules in 2015.

Cycling into a test station will get you some odd lucks. Especially when you've prebooked and they tell you to roll your vehicle into the test area.

Nice to see someone trying to go the right way with one if these though.

OP
OP
U

ugly78428000

With regards to the DVLA contact part, I sent the staff in the local office, Leeds, nuts trying to get "The Beast o'Burden" registered. This was prior to the last change of the rules in 2015.

Cycling into a test station will get you some odd lucks. Especially when you've prebooked and they tell you to roll your vehicle into the test area.

Nice to see someone trying to go the right way with one if these though.

Good idea, is there still an office in Leeds?

classic33

Leg End Member
Good idea, is there still an office in Leeds?
No, John Lewis now stands on the site. And on the police station site.

Nearest test station to me that did the SVA, was in Salford. Which is where I rolled into. They stopped dealing with the SVA a few years later.

Your best bet is to contact the DVLA, requesting details of the testing stations that do deal with the test in question, and vehicle type in question.

DRM

Guru
No, John Lewis now stands on the site. And on the police station site.

Nearest test station to me that did the SVA, was in Salford. Which is where I rolled into. They stopped dealing with the SVA a few years later.

Your best bet is to contact the DVLA, requesting details of the testing stations that do deal with the test in question, and vehicle type in question.

The DVLA moved up to the new business park at Thorpe Park near Colton, but I’m sure even that one closed, a lot of things are now done online, ok it’s if a straight forward thing with a standard car, motorbike, truck or van, but not so good for something out of the ordinary such as the OP is trying to do

classic33

Leg End Member
The DVLA moved up to the new business park at Thorpe Park near Colton, but I’m sure even that one closed, a lot of things are now done online, ok it’s if a straight forward thing with a standard car, motorbike, truck or van, but not so good for something out of the ordinary such as the OP is trying to do
The number of testing stations able to do the MVSA is going down. And you're not supposed to use your vehicle to get to the test.
Some travel can be expected to their nearest station.

I got the best help through phonecalls to the DVLA, in Swansea.

Reactions: DRM
Top Bottom