Road mileage versus indoor trainer mileage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

caz

I have recently bought an indoor trainer so that I can continue to train through the winter when it's either too wet, too windy (I'm a fair weather cyclist ;) - I'm not keen to go out in these conditions! (runs for cover from the onslaught!)) or when I don't have enough time to go out in the day, then I can hop on the trainer in an evening.

I was merrily cycling away on it today when my daughter came in, saw that the cycle computer read 9.5 miles and told me I HAD to stop when I reached 10 miles because "it's not the same as when you're out on the road, you're doing too much"!!!!! My husband overheard and whole heartedly agreed! (Neither of them do much exercise, except their daily walk). I frequently do rides of 15-20 miles, my longer rides being about 30-35 miles.

Now my question is, is 10 miles on the indoor trainer the same as 10 miles road riding? Or is it equivalent to more road miles or less?

Thanks for your answers.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH it's not the same at all.... I hate the turbo, and haven't used it for a long time....I ride all weathers...........

You'll need somewhere cool to use it - e.g. garage, and a fan on full blast, or you'll be a sweaty mess.....

OP
OP
caz

caz

Hi fossyant,

Thanks for your quick reply. However I wasn't concerned about the effects of riding it - fans and sweat, boredom.... - but rather the amount of mileage I do. Is 10 miles or 20 miles on the indoor trainer the same as 10 miles or 20 miles on the road.

RedBike

I always struggle to cover large distances on the turbo. I've always put this down to a number of reasons.

There's no freewheeling.
I over-heat and sweat loads on the turbo
I always try harder on the turbo.

Sadly although turbo training seems harder it never seems to be as beneficial as actually going out and riding.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's not the same.... I'd say at least half a road ride.

Turbo's are great for interval training - i.e. killing yourself over a short distance...

Don't expect it to replace every day riding...it will really hit you mentally riding a turbo.... it is very hard mentally, but not physically.

They are great for injuries, and if you really need to do something if the weather is that bad, but I'd say you are better off riding every day -e.g. commuting to work or Uni.......

You have to set the resistance high enough to compensate for the lack of air resistance.

A heart rate monitor would be the best way of making sure or failing that your perceived level of exertion. ie are you as breathless as when on the road?

Both can be variable so I can't see how you can get a firm answer.
Ten miles outside in the peak district is so different to ten miles across the fens probably twice the effort. Same inside depending on the setting of whatever you are riding assuming it has some adjustment for effort you put in.

Where I think there is a difference is when I am on the road I can freewheel down a hill or even on the flat so it is possible to cycle for only five miles of a ten mile run. Your indoor machine will not do this so you are constantly cycling on it.

Best thing to do is really see how YOU feel. If you are about as tired as you would be on the bike then it is about the same. Just listen to your own body on it rather than others. They may be a bit over protective as they may not be used to you slogging along on your bike which if it is doing you any good requires some effort.

Perhaps time is a better gauge than distance or speed.

But even so, it's how much effort you put in.

I ride rollers rather than a turbo, can easily spin along on them at 25mph - with considerably less effort than 25mph on the road !
But if I start doing single-leg drills, or sprint intervals, etc it's a totally different exercise than doing a gentle spin as a recovery session.

But whichever, it's not equivalent to the road so I log it as '1hr tempo' or '1/2 recovery', etc rather than as 20 miles or 10 or whatever the computer says I've done.

jimboalee

A heart rate monitor is the way to go.
Increase and decrease the resistance in an 'intervals' routine. You can simulate hills and sprints.
Devise different interval sessions to avoid monotony. Get your daughter to spray you with iced water to simulate rain.

Agree with everyone else's advice.

Turbos are not the same as the road and you should aim to use them differently i.e the intervals mentioned. They will keep your cardio-vascular system going but doing a steady ride on a turbo will not equate to the same ride on the road.

OP
OP
caz

caz

Thanks everyone for your replies, they are very informative. I've got a HR monitor so will get that out next time I use the indoor trainer. Anyone got any suggestions for what sort of intervals to do?

The indoor trainer reminds me of when I joined a gym for a few months, many years ago before I got into cycling - hot, sweaty and monotonous! I much prefer riding out in the fresh air, I just don't like going out if it is pouring down with rain (if I'm out and it starts raining, so be it, I can make a dash for home) or the wind - I nearly got blown off my bike going past a gateway in a hedge when it was really windy, which made me wary of going out in the wind! So that's part of the reason for getting the indoor trainer.

Noodley

I treat turbo sessions and spin class as a 'knock your pan in' opportunity, and usually find I can't walk properly afterwards.

I have been ill for a few weeks and am looking forward to Monday evening when I'll be back at spin class.

cadseen

Veteran
Unless the turbo is calibrated and gives good comparisons between road and turbo miles then agee with earlier post that time would be the best comparison.

i would say for the same efforton the turbo that the training effect would be about the same as the road. as long as you are mixing it.

Ravenz

andy_wrx said:
Perhaps time is a better gauge than distance or speed.

But even so, it's how much effort you put in.

agreed here that indoor training should be viewed diff to actual road work...

I use the trainer to ride a set time usually 40 mins max ( boredom factor after that inhibits longer stints) but try to do something different in that training session .. e.g. riding at a much higher cadence.. wearing a heart rate monitor does show the heart rate working its way up slowly but surely, so I am assuming that benefit is derived and also the fact that working 'faster' should theoretically work different muscle fibres than 'normal'.

Brahan

Über Member
Someone suggested I drink a sports drink before and during sessions on the turbo. I can only train during the evening and any sports juice just keeps me awake for hours afterwards! I'll be lying in bed at 2am still not asleep. My questions are: Are sports drinks beneficial? Should I use then for every training session, or at all and if so which ones are any good?

Top Bottom