Road mileage versus indoor trainer mileage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Brahan, water will be fine before and during a turbo ride (unless you plan to be on it for several hours!). You might want to have a recovery drink afterwards, and milk (especially chocolate milk) is as good and cheap option. You can spend a fortune on sports drinks and, imo and depending on how long/hard you work, it's not really necessary. I can buy a mineral water (St Yorre) here in France that's high in bicarbonates and that goes down a treat for me after a sweaty ride.

Young Un

I find when I do turbo interval traing at the local club (every wednesday) i find that i feel absolutely knackered as soon as I get off the turbo but I recover more quickly than if I had just done a road ride, so I should probably go longer on the turbo - ussually about 35-40 mins - to get a more realistic workout, but unfortunately I cant do that as we do it as a club and so when our coach says we have to stop we really have to, although tonight I am going to make it harder for myself by using a lot harder gears:biggrin:

yello

Thanks for the thread caz. It made me dig out my turbo and set up the bike. It's forecast for solid rain over the next 3 days and I can't spend another full day on the forum!

OP
OP
caz

caz

yello said:
Thanks for the thread caz. It made me dig out my turbo and set up the bike. It's forecast for solid rain over the next 3 days and I can't spend another full day on the forum!

That's ok yello, any time :biggrin:. Glad to have motivated you!!! (I know what you mean - forum watching gets addictive!:o)

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I find that turbo work is a different animal to a real ride but, recovering from a minor op, it's all I've got for now. It's a seriously mind-numbing activity ! :girl: My remedy is to read a novel (needs to be something sufficiently interesting to occupy my mind) and I try to keep a steady cadence, checking at the end of each chapter ;). I manage about 45mins before seat starts to complain (not a proper sized bike on turbo at present). Don't have computer set up on rear wheel.

I believe that ordinary tonic water is good for recovery too.

Gin optional ;) :laugh:

yello said:
It's forecast for solid rain over the next 3 days and I can't spend another full day on the forum!
"Yes, you can" - to paraphrase the current phrase ! ;)

mr Mag00

rising member
i have read somewhere and been told by a sports scientist, will try to reference this, that an hours turbo is equivalent to around 3 hours riding as has been stated its a different beast and they tend to get used for cardio work outs. i have done a two hour stint at a steady pace with a dvd on the telly.
i certainly feel strionger in the spring for having used it when the weather eally closes in during the winter. i am not fully fair weather but sometimes its just too grey, wet and time is short.
i dont think you should look for direct comparisons

jimboalee

I think you should look at 'kCals burned' for a comparison. :biggrin:

Top Bottom