Road or MTB hubs for cyclocross wheel build?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Couple of questions:

Do cyclocross wheels usually feature road or mountain bike hubs? I'm assuming there's no such thing as cyclocross specific hubs?

I'm looking for 6 bolt disc hubs, 28 spoke (front) and 32 spoke (rear), can anyone make any suggestions on particular models that won't break the bank?

Have I backed myself into a corner, do I require road hubs to go with 28 spokes up front? I already ordered tubular tubeless rims without considering this, doh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
135mm

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
SLX mate. Not sure you can get 28s though.
No, I don't think so. Hope Pro 4's come in a 28 front, the rear equivalent is pricey, upward of £149.99 on most sites. It's a shame the Shimano MTB hubs don't come in 28 front. I might have to mix and match to keep costs down, I'm pretty sure I have a 32 spoke XT rear hub somewhere in the garage I can utilise, fingers crossed it's not a 36. :blink:

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just to focus your thinking, the 32 hole front version to match my suggested rear hub can be had for £28 or less but it would appear the 32 hole version is getting less common - www.evanscycles.com/shimano-xt-m756-front-6-bolt-disc-hub-00119478

IMO there is chuff-all difference weight wise between the 28 or 32 spoke wheel (4 spokes, wow!) but the increase in parts choice and wheel strength make it a no brainer?

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
The rim cost £54.99, and it was purchased in Germany so returns shipping would be costly and at my expense. It probably makes more sense to 1) order a new rim, and try sell on this unused rim. Or 2) just mix the hub brands. I'm not fussy about that anyway, most of my bikes have a dynamo hub upfront which means I'm already mixing brands/colours.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...

Just the ticket!
?!?!?!?!? How does that even figure, given the original brief?
cyclocross wheels/cyclocross specific hubs?.......I'm looking for 6 bolt disc hubs, 28 spoke (front).......suggestions on particular models that won't break the bank?........Ideally not much more than £60 per hub.
I wouldn't have bothered trying to help if I had known........

OP
OP
confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist

Veteran
Indeed, it's only slightly over budget, bear in mind the matching Hope 4 front and rear hub is over £200 for the pair... and this is a front dynamo hub to boot for £86.76.

Add the £40 (to buy) XT rear hub (which I may already have stockpiled from a previous build that was abandoned) and it's actually almost within the original budget. (2 x£60 = £120)

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
6 bolt disc hubs, 28 spoke (front) . . . ideally not much more than £60 per hub.
Front is a lot more problematic as you really have caused issues by going 28 spoke. Is it too late to send the rim back and swap to 32?
OP said it was (edit: too late).
?!?!?!?!? How does that even figure, given the original brief?
I wouldn't have bothered trying to help if I had known........
The hub @User suggests is 6 bolt disc and 28 spoke. You had yourself said this was 'a lot more problematic' and tried to change the 'brief' (swap the 28 rim for a 32 rim). 'Just the ticket' only fails on the price, but two out of three ain't bad (with bonus generator to discount against the price tolerance breech).

Last edited:
Top Bottom