Road query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RAYMOND

Hello i was just wondering if anyone knows anything about roads
that cyclists can't use.
I mean can we use the motorway(my guess is not)
Can we cycle on all main roads for example i cycled from doncaster to gainsbrough this morning.
It felt at times i shouldn't be on parts of it.,got a few beeps but that could just of been gay drivers :smile:

Maylian

Veteran
As far as I know we can legally use any roads with the exception of motorways, but I will defer to others if they have anything else to add.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
As far as I know we can legally use any roads with the exception of motorways, but I will defer to others if they have anything else to add.
I wonder if this extends to dual carriageways with national speed limit signs (70 mph) After having done it once myself I would not do it again or recommend it to anyone else. It was scary and foolhardy.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I wonder if this extends to dual carriageways with national speed limit signs (70 mph) After having done it once myself I would not do it again or recommend it to anyone else. It was scary and foolhardy.
I think youre allowed to unless its one of those A roads with a (M) after its name. Certainly a lot of Milton Keynes is dual carriageway and people cycle on it quite frequently, not something Id do except for 5am.

sidevalve

Über Member
NO you can NOT use motorways,and that includes urban motorways which may have a 50 speed limit, there is no guess about it [why would you want to ?]. Having worked on them for many years I can only confirm they are VERY dangerous places to be [even the hard shoulder is classed as highly risky].However you can use any other road you choose, the speed limit makes no diference although as above, fast dual carriageways are pretty unpleasant.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
There are a few non-motorways barred to cyclists. Those that I know of: parts of the A1 in Scotland, and some main road tunnels.

Some roads have a minimum speed limit, like part of the A45 through northampton is "no vehicles unable to exceed 30MPH".

Is it downhill? :biggrin:

compo

Veteran
The A120 Stansted to Braintree and the A130 from it's junction with the A12 down to it's junction with the A127 are both prohibited to cyclists. To be honest I cannot see anyone wanting to cycle those roads as both have much nicer routes parallel with them.

That's bizarre. I'd be banned from that road yet some of my clubmates would be allowed.

Suppose it depends if you're being picky... a bike IS capable so going above 30 mph, even if the rider on it is not! Surely a better wording for them would have been 'Minimum Speed 30mph'... unless for some reason the local council just really, really hate milk floats.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
There are some (not many) A roads where cycling is barred. The southern bit of the A470 is one. Personally I dont like driving on it let alone cycling. If cycling is not allowed it will be signposted on the slip road approaches. Cycling is not allowed on any British Motorways .

martint235

Dog on a bike
Yep there's parts of the A13 that you're not allowed to cycle on. You're also not allowed over the Dartford crossing (you can get free transport though). Blackwall tunnel is another no no (although I think it may be labelled the A102(M)) although you can go through the Rotherhithe Tunnel.

You just have to keep an eye out for signs (someone will be along shortly don't worry) but otherwise all A roads are fine.

Top Bottom