Road query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
There is a nice big sign here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=e...=q0Id5A37AXSR4ToND6bphw&cbp=12,235.43,,0,0.27 saying that cyclists cannot use the road from the sign onwards. However, you can use the entire length of it up to Chester (I have just checked). There are even signs near Connah's Qauy warning motorists that there is a cycle route ahead.

I would say that anyone who plans to cycle from Llandulas to Chester on the A55 needs to be seen to immediately. Its not the best of things to do.

There's a section of the A90, between Edinburgh and the Forth Road Bridge, on which cyclists are not allowed, in either direction. It's a dual carriageway trunk road.
The main drawback is that it is only signposted as 'No Cyclists' when you get there - no advance warning and no clear alternative route.

Frequently catches out LEJoG/JoGLE riders (who mainly seem to expect to be able to do the whole distance on an all-the-UK-on-one-page road map :headshake:)
Eventually I was told of a alternate route but you are right signage is terrible, iirc the bylaw was brought in after a few cyclists were killed :-(
Another one you'll know about is the city bypass and sections of the new A68; bylaws ban cyclist from there too.

Ningishzidda

I have passe a cyclist riding SW along the A42 (effectively the M42 extension to the M1). It is a 2 lane motorway in all but name and lack of hard shoulder, with very few access/exit points. It must have been very unpleasant for him, and I did wonder if his presence was entirely intentional!

It might have been me. That's the quick way back to the Pretty Pigs on the Tamworth CC 100 km Audax, as it was. Done it many times.

The A46 past Warwick and Leamington Spa formed a major smooth uninterupted part of the MIdland Mesh string between Stratford upon Avon and Measham. Another part of the A46, Alcester to Evesham was another well ridden trunk road.
The A45 between the NEC and Coventry was a commute route.
Another commute route in years past was the A5, inc Atherstone by-pass. So was Collector Road which by-passes Chelmsley Wood and Castle Bromwich.

Ningishzidda

PS. On my LEJoG, I rode up the A30 to Okehampton.

nickprior

Veteran
And the reason I was checking was that I also remember the signs being up at the Mumps end for cyclists.
All bets are off round Oldham at the moment. The Metro works mean that road layouts can change on a daily basis. Which is nice. There are still "no cycling/horse carts/pedestrian" signs on the town bypass but not sure if they've put back the sign down at Mumps yet. You came off the bypass at the right place - the next bend with the on slip is a nasty one. You often see the crash barriers a little worse for wear there.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Some roads have a minimum speed limit, like part of the A45 through northampton is "no vehicles unable to exceed 30MPH".

AFAIK that's on the Nene Valley Way where it 'fly's over' the Bedford Road junction at Barnes Meadow. And the restriction is vehicles unable to maintain 20. I'd struggle with that on the up gradient.

borstal

All bets are off round Oldham at the moment. The Metro works mean that road layouts can change on a daily basis. Which is nice. There are still "no cycling/horse carts/pedestrian" signs on the town bypass but not sure if they've put back the sign down at Mumps yet. You came off the bypass at the right place - the next bend with the on slip is a nasty one. You often see the crash barriers a little worse for wear there.

Thanks for getting back Nick. I decided that the few minutes it cuts out of my journey probably isnt worth it anyway. I'll stick to the daily route changes through Oldham :smile:

Top Bottom