Road query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I live by the A1 and occasionally see cyclists on it. I'm not sure if they're allowed to do it or not but I think they must be mental.

snorri

Legendary Member
You just have to keep an eye out for signs (someone will be along shortly don't worry).
Post No.3 :thumbsup:

There are a few non-motorways barred to cyclists. Those that I know of: parts of the A1 in Scotland, and some main road tunnels.
These are controversial.

Part of the Thanet Way in Kent was declared "No Cycling" at one point, but a campaign saw the European funding withheld until cyclng was reinstated, and I believe there have been other similar challenges

sabian92

Über Member
It felt at times i shouldn't be on parts of it.,got a few beeps but that could just of been gay drivers :smile:

I didn't know homosexuals only beep at cyclists? Could revolutionise cruising! :laugh:

Jokes aside - no motorways but anything else is fair game.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
There's a section of the A90, between Edinburgh and the Forth Road Bridge, on which cyclists are not allowed, in either direction. It's a dual carriageway trunk road.
The main drawback is that it is only signposted as 'No Cyclists' when you get there - no advance warning and no clear alternative route.

Frequently catches out LEJoG/JoGLE riders (who mainly seem to expect to be able to do the whole distance on an all-the-UK-on-one-page road map :headshake:)

nickprior

Veteran
The Oldham Way ring road (A627 just past the end of the M bit off the motorway) doesn't allow cyclists, pedestrians, horses or horse and carriages along the 50mph section. Although the nearby Metro works have removed (temporarily?) the prohibition signs from the eastern end of the bypass and I have seen a few brave souls riding along there.

borstal

Hi Nick,just signed up to speak to you. Is the A627 situation still the same? I was checking cycle route webpages last night to see if I could cycle it (all were ok) and checked the law regarding A roads which all seemed fine. Cycled it this morning and it was bit worrying especially when I saw thr 50 sign!. I came off at the Manchester Road roundabout with a bus driver beeping me and pointing back to the A rd.

borstal

And the reason I was checking was that I also remember the signs being up at the Mumps end for cyclists.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I wonder if this extends to dual carriageways with national speed limit signs (70 mph) After having done it once myself I would not do it again or recommend it to anyone else. It was scary and foolhardy.
No it doesn't. Only if the signs are blue showing a motorway or a M next to the road, they are the only roads you cant go on.

martint235

Dog on a bike
No it doesn't. Only if the signs are blue showing a motorway or a M next to the road, they are the only roads you cant go on.
Or a road with a no cycling sign next to it. As mentioned before, there is a section of the A13 heading into London where it's illegal to cycle.

I seem to remember someone saying that if you cycle through the Blackwall Tunnel now, they close the tunnel and charge you for the cost of clearing the tunnel of traffic.

7onagrifter

I`m going back some years so can`t recall a section of the A1 being navigable to cyclists? It runs about 7 mile linking a section of the A57 starting at Blyth rd (A614 "great whin covert" roundabout) running South East to Markham Moor roundabout where the A57 restarts again going East to Lincoln and the A1 branches off South to Newark etc.
http://goo.gl/maps/m5nRy
Theirs a diversion around Gamston/retford airport using minor roads but would add quite a while for a trip for anyone in the S Yorks/N Derbys region headed for "Skeg vegas" and the Lincs East coast?
*update* Google is my friend http://ridewithgps.com/routes/28187
but I`ll leave this post up as It`s still intriguing to determine the grey area surrounding very risky yet legal Green or Blue roads/routes specifically sections of the A1 that are A1(M) ?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I have passe a cyclist riding SW along the A42 (effectively the M42 extension to the M1). It is a 2 lane motorway in all but name and lack of hard shoulder, with very few access/exit points. It must have been very unpleasant for him, and I did wonder if his presence was entirely intentional!

Top Bottom