Road ragers should wear helmets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
As I've said before, I don't think either of them come out it very well.
Ok, let me help you out.
The guy in the car says;

"Mate, how big is that bicycle?"
"Do you need to be on the road?"
"Well you're farking lucky I didn't hit you then."
"Are you a farking tank? No! Are you a farking car? No! You're a farking little bicycle but you seem to want to be in the middle of the road, so it's your problem if you get knocked off."
Cyclist "Is that what it says in the highway code?"
Motorist "No, it says knock you daffodils over!"
"Why don't you get a car?"
"You better pull out behind me or I'll knock you off."

Now to me that suggests that the motorist believes that the cyclist should not be in his way and that he has a greater right than the cyclist to be on the road, would you maybe have a look at the video and make a note of where the cyclist gives you the impression that he thinks he has the greater right to be on the road?
Oh, while we're at it, could you maybe list down where the cyclist was swearing at the motorist, threatening the motorist with violence and just generally screaming and shouting at the motorist, then we can have a chat about how they are both as bad as each other.

Last edited:

Lemond

Oh, while we're at it, could you maybe list down where the cyclist was swearing at the motorist, threatening the motorist with violence and just generally screaming and shouting at the motorist, then we can have a chat about how they are both as bad as each other.

As I have said before, the cyclist could easily have given way to the driver, and the entire situation would have been avoided. I'm not saying that's because the driver is a more important road user. I'm just saying it would have been a courteous thing to do.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
As I have said before, the cyclist could easily have given way to the driver, and the entire situation would have been avoided. I'm not saying that's because the driver is a more important road user. I'm just saying it would have been a courteous thing to do.
Just so I know for future reference, do you have any intention of answering my questions?

Lemond

Just so I know for future reference, do you have any intention of answering my questions?

I have answered your question. You just don't seem to like the answer. You now also seem to think you have the right to bully me. What do you think gives you that right?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I have answered your question. You just don't seem to like the answer. You now also seem to think you have the right to bully me. What do you think gives you that right?
I've asked you to show me how the cyclist demonstrates that he believes he has more entitlement to the road than the motorist, I believe I have shown that the motorist is the one with the over inflated sense of importance.
I've asked you to show me how the cyclist was as bad as the motorist in his behaviour, I believe that I have shown that the motorist was far far more agressive and threatening than the cyclist.
I've asked you which one of them you believe is showing the "them and us" attitude.
If you have answered, actually answered, any of those questions then please point me to the posts where you have done so.
If you honesty think that this is bullying then I really hope you don't meet the chap in the Peugeot.

Tin Pot

Guru

It's unlikely.

Lemond has been defending the driver in all similar threads since he/she joined last year.

The general point being made is valid, you can have bad drivers as much as you can have bad cyclists. We're all human, no us vs. them, etc.

But on specific points, such as this instance where it is clear that the drivers bad behaviour far outweighs the cyclists Lemond will never give way - presumably because he feels it undermines the general point he/she wants to make.

As do so many others here on CC and in the real world too, sadly.

Lemond

I've asked you to show me how the cyclist demonstrates that he believes he has more entitlement to the road than the motorist, I believe I have shown that the motorist is the one with the over inflated sense of importance. But I don't hold that viewpoint re the cyclist.

I've asked you to show me how the cyclist was as bad as the motorist in his behaviour, I believe that I have shown that the motorist was far far more agressive and threatening than the cyclist. Show some common courtesy, allow the car to pass, situation avoided. It could have been that simple. I have never said that he should do this. I have said that he could have chosen to do this. Big difference.

I've asked you which one of them you believe is showing the "them and us" attitude. Maybe neither, maybe both. Words said in the heat of the moment aren't necessarily indicative of a wider held view. And some might argue that cameras and youtube videos also demonstrate a "them and us" attitude. You would have to speak to both to know for sure.

If you have answered, actually answered, any of those questions then please point me to the posts where you have done so.
If you honesty think that this is bullying then I really hope you don't meet the chap in the Peugeot.

Origamist

Legendary Member

Well, he could have ridden closer to the parked cars to facilitate the overtake, but if he had been hit by a door and run over by the Peugeot, what would you have said then?

Surely, the convenience of other road users should not trump your safety?

Lemond

It's unlikely.

Lemond has been defending the driver in all similar threads since he/she joined last year.

The general point being made is valid, you can have bad drivers as much as you can have bad cyclists. We're all human, no us vs. them, etc.

But on specific points, such as this instance where it is clear that the drivers bad behaviour far outweighs the cyclists Lemond will never give way - presumably because he feels it undermines the general point he/she wants to make.

As do so many others here on CC and in the real world too, sadly.

No. I just happen to believe that as cyclists we share the road. We have no greater rights to it than anybody else. And let me be absolutely clear for you: I believe the driver behaved disgracefully. But that doesn't mean that the entire situation couldn't have been avoided had the cyclist not demonstrated a little bit of common courtesy. I have no agenda or axe to grind, I just comment as I find.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
No. I just happen to believe that as cyclists we share the road. We have no greater rights to it than anybody else. And let me be absolutely clear for you: I believe the driver behaved disgracefully. But that doesn't mean that the entire situation couldn't have been avoided had the cyclist not demonstrated a little bit of common courtesy. I have no agenda or axe to grind, I just comment as I find.

Watching the video again, there is only one place where the cyclist could have moved over and that was at 6 seconds in, between two parked cars. That's assuming he even knew the driver was behind him, as he'd turned right into the road and the motorist was coming straight over the junction. By 11 seconds, the car had gone past.

Do you think cyclists should weave in and out of parked cars?

Lemond

Well, he could have ridden closer to the parked cars to facilitate the overtake, but if he had been hit by a door and run over by the Peugeot, what would you have said then?

Surely, the convenience of other road users should not trump your safety?

In the video you can see a couple of large spaces between the parked cars which the cyclist could have used.

Top Bottom