Road rash - best way to treat please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wozza

Regular
For the second time in 12 months I have a nasty wound after coming into contact with Tarmac! The first time it took ages to heal and involved anti biotics.
One complication is that the area generally comes into contact with your clothes so leaving it uncovered is not an option.
Your advice would be appreciated as there must be lots of experience out there of dealing with such injuries.
Thanks in advance.

Ouch!

Try this

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Basically it needs to be treated like burns.

Get down your local minor injuries unit and get them to clean (may involve scrubbing and tweezers) and dress it and assess it and then ask nicely that they give you a supply of the stuff they use; sterile water and swabs, some of the cool soaked in parafin wax 'plasters' they use and tape and some gauze bandage to hold them on etc., for you to use at home. Change the dressings and clean the wounds daily at first and then every two days as required. I came home with a whole carrier bag of the stuff and nothing got infected after my off in April...

I'm going to go out on a limb here (geddit?) - don't treat it. I know you said that wasn't practical, but if you can keep the air on it, let it dry and scab over sooner rather than later, you will be able to live with it a lot easier. Keeping it covered simply delays this process.

The above probably goes against all accepted medical practice, but this was exactly what I was told to do by a casualty nurse (who also happened to be secretary of my club at the time). She said that the first thing that would happen when I got to A&E (I'd also broken my collarbone, hence the trip) was that they would wrap it - and that the first thing I should do when I got home was take it off. Which I did - and it seemed to work.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm going to go out on a limb here (geddit?) - don't treat it. I know you said that wasn't practical, but if you can keep the air on it, let it dry and scab over sooner rather than later, you will be able to live with it a lot easier. Keeping it covered simply delays this process.

That's was once the normal practise but things have moved on. Road rash heals faster without scabs, heals with less scarring and heals with more elasticity is what various quacks have told me.

That's was once the normal practise but things have moved on. Road rash heals faster without scabs, heals with less scarring and heals with more elasticity is what various quacks have told me.

possibly - this was in the mid-90s. But I had a 6"x3" patch on my lower leg which seemed to heal perfectly well - can't really remember how long it took though, but there's certainly no sign of anything now...

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I use Aloe Vera Gelly. I have tubes of the stuff. One in my saddle bag, one in the car, one in the bathroom. Its astonishing stuff for healing. I reckon that I heal about 1/3 faster using Aloe than other stuff you stick on grazes. I use it on burns, scratches, scrapes, bites, stings and everything. Wonderful stuff.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
possibly - this was in the mid-90s. But I had a 6"x3" patch on my lower leg which seemed to heal perfectly well - can't really remember how long it took though, but there's certainly no sign of anything now...

The new way is hydrocolloid - yes the wound stays wet but you get overall quicker healing and less scar tissue. Worked well on my keyhole surgery - 3 x 1cm holes in my shoulder, just patched up, told to leave on, you can't see the scars now - 1 year later.

OP
OP
W

Wozza

Regular
Thanks for all the advice. It seems there are many different ways of treating it, all painfull sadly!
I think I will follow smokey moos advice and stay upright in future!

Top Bottom