How to best stitch together and printout gpx tracks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'd like to get a high quality printout of the route of our recent tour, ideally on IGN map format, but any good quality format would be fine.

All the days are available as separate gpx tracks on wahoo elemnt app and also uploaded to Strava.

I can do it via a screenshot of Strava heat map but it's not the best.

Any suggestions?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I used ~Gotoes~ to merge fit files.
Whether it will be of the quality you want when printed, or not, i don't know.

Sajan

Consider exporting your tour GPX tracks from Wahoo Elemnt app, then use a mapping tool like Gaia GPS or Ride with GPS to create a high-quality printout in IGN map format.

Obviously, it's down to personal taste and how you plan to use the map.
One option that may work is to use CycleTravel.
Import the gpx files into a folder.
Display the folder as a map and all the daily rides will be displayed in different colours.
Like this: (Using Spanish IGN map)
Screenshot 2023-10-14 12.48.18.png

However, a few provisos:
There is the possibility that CT will "adjust" your gpx file on importation. (I believe most planners do this if the recorded route does not match their map).
I think you may need to be a subscriber to go beyond a certain number of files in a folder and you certainly need to be a subscriber to have the full map choice. It's very cheap and an excellent cause.
The image can be screengrabbed - which probably limits its application.
As you can see, the IGN doesn't work particularly well in this case. Other options are available:

Screenshot 2023-10-14 12.54.43.png

From space! ^_^
Screenshot 2023-10-14 12.54.17.png

I've never done it, but I imagine "stitching" the individual gpx files into one would be the way to go, then looking for a map printer.

In any case, this "display" a folder option is fantastic for planning as we can see the route grow and grow, see what we're hitting and also what we're missing.

Edited to add:
It is possible to recreate each day's gpx accurately on CT by displaying a "trace" of the route and plotting a copy. (Could be done for the "stitched together" version also. Then the route is 100% in accordance with the Komoot recording.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

Obviously, it's down to personal taste and how you plan to use the map.
One option that may work is to use CycleTravel.
Import the gpx files into a folder.
Display the folder as a map and all the daily rides will be displayed in different colours.
Like this: (Using Spanish IGN map)
View attachment 710037

However, a few provisos:
There is the possibility that CT will "adjust" your gpx file on importation. (I believe most planners do this if the recorded route does not match their map).
I think you may need to be a subscriber to go beyond a certain number of files in a folder and you certainly need to be a subscriber to have the full map choice. It's very cheap and an excellent cause.
The image can be screengrabbed - which probably limits its application.
As you can see, the IGN doesn't work particularly well in this case. Other options are available:

View attachment 710038

From space! ^_^
View attachment 710039

I've never done it, but I imagine "stitching" the individual gpx files into one would be the way to go, then looking for a map printer.

In any case, this "display" a folder option is fantastic for planning as we can see the route grow and grow, see what we're hitting and also what we're missing.

Edited to add:
It is possible to recreate each day's gpx accurately on CT by displaying a "trace" of the route and plotting a copy. (Could be done for the "stitched together" version also. Then the route is 100% in accordance with the Komoot recording.

That sounds like a very good option - I'm a CT subscriber. Will try later

Any idea if it's possible to get better quality output than a screenshot?

Any idea if it's possible to get better quality output than a screenshot?

To the best of my knowledge, no.
At the risk of adding to a pretty hefty workload I'm going to call @Richard Fairhurst for assistance. (Sorry Richard :blush:)

I think this is a killer "app" for CT, both before and after a tour. The idea of being able to export an image of a map to a printable quality is, I think, worth $$. Of course, there may well be image rights/copyright etc. to consider.
I, for one, would be willing to pay a one off fee for a good quality map.

Perhaps someone with a better understanding of screengrabbing software or photo editing can weigh in on the "best" way to record such an image too?

richardfm

Veteran
There are plenty of online resources for combining gpx files. Once combined you could import the file in the OS maps online app and print from there

albion

Guru
Experiment with osmand. I think all routes display when imported. Tweak what stuff is displaced to suit.
If you have it on a 4K screen PDF or screen shot it. 1080p may be too limited.

The other option to mind, is to use some clever editing using CustomMaps.

OP
OP
R

roubaixtuesday

@HobbesOnTour that was very easy as I'd planned the tour on cycle.travel, so no need to re-import gpx as I had the days already set up.

I had no idea you could map a folder - excellent albeit rather hidden feature.

It's a bit annoying that you don't seem to be able to change the colours it chooses as for most map formats they also have similar colours for some of the features like borders and cycle paths. It also reduces the horizontal size of the window for no apparent reason which doesn't matter for this tour, but for one with greater East/West rather than North/South would be frustrating.

Cycle.travel seems to have an intermittent problem with IGN classic, so I can't do that now but German OSM looks best of the rest

1697290688174.png

I had no idea you could map a folder - excellent albeit rather hidden feature.
It might help to have a read of the CT forum. There is a lot to CT and lots of people using it in different ways in different places. As a subscriber you should be getting monthly emails as well. Always worth a read.

It's a bit annoying that you don't seem to be able to change the colours
Jeez! Yesterday morning you didn't know about this feature. By yesterday afternoon you don't like the colours! Tough crowd! ^_^

With a bit of work merge all your routes into one long. Then add tiny routes to the folder ahead of the long one. Keep adding tiny ones until the big one is a colour you approve of. There might be a smudge of colour at the start.

Alternatively, use the "Trace" feature for the long route. That'll show up clear and bright on any map style.

Cycle.travel seems to have an intermittent problem with IGN classic, so I can't do that now but German OSM looks best of the rest
The IGN licence expires every year for some reason - I've just renewed it so it should be working again. I have no idea why it works like that!

cycle.travel does have the feature to export a PDF map of an area. I could potentially extend that to include all the routes in a folder. I have a bunch of stuff to do on the apps first though so can't promise it'll be quick, but do remind me. :smile:

Top Bottom