Road repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
If a road is closed for repairs, is it also closed to pedestrians? Is a pedestrian pushing a bike still a pedestrian?

If a road is closed for repairs, is it also closed to pedestrians? Is a pedestrian pushing a bike still a pedestrian?
Is the bit that is closed the road or the pavement? If only the road, then you can push the bike along the pavement. If the pavement is also closed or there isn't one, then I would imagine none shall pass.

OP
OP
3narf

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Is the bit that is closed the road or the pavement? If only the road, then you can push the bike along the pavement. If the pavement is also closed or there isn't one, then I would imagine none shall pass.

country unclassified road; no pavement but wide grass verges.

country unclassified road; no pavement but wide grass verges.
I think assuming you can push your bike on the verge for the entire length of the works and at no point are weaving in and out of cones or holes etc on the tarmac then I would say that's fair.

OldShep

Über Member
Just had to do it last week. Road closed and just had around a hundred yards sprayed with sticky tar. Guy advised walk up verge as you’ll never get that sticky tar off your bike.

Slick

Guru
There was a number of road works at various points on my commute towards the end of the year as the council tried to get rid of some cash. I was there before the workmen in the morning and only saw them on a Friday as I'm half day, when I would seek permission which was always granted.

screenman

Legendary Member
The main route out of our village is being closed for 3 months from April, cycle access is possible, also pushing a motorbike is going to be allowed.

D

Deleted member 23692

There should be a copy of the legal order posted on site at every point where the closure starts. It will either be...

Closed to all traffic
Or
Closed to motor vehicles, but not foot or bicycle

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
You can normally negotiate your way through, though two instances where I failed: one in the Teign Valley, and as I gingerly proceeded towards one of the works supervisors, he told me in no uncertain terms to remove myself from the works area. To be fair, there was a lot of heavy machinery involved in stopping the road falling into the Teign.

The other one was in France, where there was a sign saying "Route fermée, même cyclistes" ("Road closed, even to cyclists"), and after a friendly driver had directed us via a rather circuitous detour, when we looked down on where the road had formerly been (it was trying to fall down into the valley), we were grateful for the clear signage, and the detour.

Otherwise, generally there's a way around these things.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am yet to be defeated, I always find a way around or through, sometimes it way involved shouldering the bike and getting a bid muddy. @mjr will be able to quote the legislation that requests that access should be maintained for both cyclists and pedestrians wherever possible.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I am yet to be defeated, I always find a way around or through, sometimes it way involved shouldering the bike and getting a bid muddy. @mjr will be able to quote the legislation that requests that access should be maintained for both cyclists and pedestrians wherever possible.
New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 and its legally-enforced Code of Practice on Safety at Street Works.

Not that it does much good now most highways departments don't seem to have enough officers to check for infringements. It might help you get damages if hurt by non-compliant works, I guess. :sad:

Top Bottom