Road repairs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just had to do it last week. Road closed and just had around a hundred yards sprayed with sticky tar. Guy advised walk up verge as you’ll never get that sticky tar off your bike.
@Littgull and I had that experience last summer!

We ignored a road closure because it would have meant us doing a huge detour, easily 20+ miles. We encountered a long stretch of recently resurfaced road which was bad enough, but when we caught up with the resurfacing team, the surface there was unrideable. We got tar on our bikes in seconds before we could get onto the verge. We then walked past the trucks and got far enough ahead that we had time to scrape/wipe most of the tar off.

D

Deleted member 23692

... will be able to quote the legislation that requests that access should be maintained for both cyclists and pedestrians wherever possible.
Seeing as I have involvement in processing Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders (TTRO's), I can tell you it's Section 14 Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

What @mrj quoted are the [old] regulations and licensing covering works on the Public Highway. Parts this and the Traffic Management Act 2004 have been since largely superseded by The Traffic Management Permit Scheme (England) Regulations 2007.

Such works may or may not require the need to remove the public rights, but should it be deemed necessary a PPA (Provisional Advance Authorisation) under the TMPSR has to be granted before a TTRO can be applied for and issued.

Last edited by a moderator:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What @mrj quoted are the [old] regulations and licensing covering works on the Public Highway. Parts this and the Traffic Management Act 2004 have been since largely superseded by The Traffic Management Permit Scheme (England) Regulations 2007.
Are the newer regs in force everywhere now, @ffooog?

(You fluff my name... ;) )

D

Deleted member 1258

Its usually posible to get through, the one near me last year that was fully closed had signs up informing people no cycling or foot traffic, they were replacing a bridge deck. The workmen are usually friendly, I've only come across one lot that wasn't.

Often it's a separate contractor that puts out the signs, cones and lights from those doing the roadworks. Sometimes there is a delay after completion of the works before all of the signage etc is removed. Its a bit annoying because you can never be sure if the road is clear or not.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A side road near Forfar was closed for resurfacing and the alternative was not to my mind advisable due to volume and speed of traffic. I just asked if I could get through and was told yes but keep off the tar as you will never get it off. The verge was wide enough and as others have said a reasonable approach usually works.

ColinJ

Sometimes they are serious about closing the road ... :whistle:

off-road-2-jpg.jpg

off-road-jpg.jpg

ColinJ

On The Border?
Just over - the ford at Thursden, beyond Widdop from Hebden Bridge.

johnblack

Über Member
There's been a few roads closed round our way for months, no work going on, just unsafe due to weak bridges or badger setts. The closed sections now look like something out of The Walking Dead, still absolutely fine for cycling though.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have failed to get through road closures on occasions .It's a judgement call when you see the road closure sign,do you push on and hope to be allowed through or take the detour?

On an Audax I was allowed across the bridge at chainbridge when I arrived there alone. The Site foreman refused a group of audaxers who arrived after me.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
There's been a few roads closed round our way for months, no work going on, just unsafe due to weak bridges or badger setts. The closed sections now look like something out of The Walking Dead, still absolutely fine for cycling though.

There have been a few over in the eastern side of Poshire mainly due to railway bridges but only 1 has no useable footpath

Globalti

Legendary Member
My buddy and I were on a long ride, heading home and we came upon a Road Closed sign with a diversion. The diversion looked like hard work so we agreed to carry on and chance it. At the bottom of the hill in a small village we found the reason - the stone bridge over the river was being rebuilt. There was a man up a ladder fixing his roof who saw us and began taking the piss: "Oh yeah here are some more who thought they could get through and ignored the signs! You'll just have to go round the long way like everybody else!"

Well, that was red rag to a bull and we were determined to prove the old bastard wrong. We noticed that alongside all the scaffolding was a metal drainage pipe crossing the river so we shouldered our bikes and teetered across in cleated shoes, holding onto the scaffolding. At the far side we had to climb over a wall, drop into a field and plodge through mud and cow shoot before regaining the road through a gate. But we made it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom