Road sign quiz

What does the sign below mean?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Drop an email with the mock-up to your local highways dept./local copshop. It's wrong use of a sign by some monkey at the road works. Saves 'em getting the correct signs sorted out. Just wait until Mr Plod goes the wrong way and ends up in the barriers, on a hurry up call. It'll be sorted then.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
One of these:
Road_Closed_Sign.jpg

Combined with one of these:

No-right-turn.gif

Would make things a lot clearer
That would be wrong as there is nothing wrong with making the turn. The closure might be a mile further up the road. How would people get to places in between ?

crazy580

That would be wrong as there is nothing wrong with making the turn. The closure might be a mile further up the road. How would people get to places in between ?
It depends on how far up the road the closure is. Maybe a new type of sign is needed? Something like
Road on the right/left closed
xx miles ahead

subaqua

What’s the point
It depends on how far up the road the closure is. Maybe a new type of sign is needed? Something like
Road on the right/left closed
xx miles ahead

the words Local access only are generally added in that situation on a separate sign. all covered in Chapter 8 .

tghe sign used above does not comply with chapter 8 as arrow is incorrect colour.

Local highways department will be interested , local constabulary probably wont be. ( some do take it seriously)

Bman

Guru
Here you go.

This road has been closed for a couple of weeks now (the first exit, of four, on the RAB ahead)

I think this is a common (if not entirely correct) usage of this sign. Dont forget, the workmen are not highway planners or police. They just make it up as they go along.

I once complained about a cycletrack closure, where there were *no* early warning signs for the road closure ahead. Once the closure was in sight, the only signs refered to mopeds dismounting and a pedestrian diversion. The Police agreed with me that it was insufficient and the workmen changed the signage :biggrin:

Here is the pic :
PICT0004.AVI_snapshot_05.24_2011.04.04_20.18.35.jpg

subaqua

What’s the point
Here you go.

This road has been closed for a couple of weeks now (the first exit, of four, on the RAB ahead)

I think this is a common (if not entirely correct) usage of this sign. Dont forget, the workmen are not highway planners or police. They just make it up as they go along.

I once complained about a cycletrack closure, where there were *no* early warning signs for the road closure ahead. Once the closure was in sight, the only signs refered to mopeds dismounting and a pedestrian diversion. The Police agreed with me that it was insufficient and the workmen changed the signage :biggrin:

Here is the pic :
[attachment=2938:PICT0004.AVI_snapshot_05.24_2011.04.04_20.18.35.jpg]

ROFL.

they don't just make it up as they go along. all the signage required will be documented in the works execution plan, including location of each sign and sign type.

what generally happens is nobody can find the right signs in the yard so the manager will make a decision to use a close approximation of whats required.

soooooo glad i stopped working on Highways.

Bman

Guru
Ok, so the Manager just makes it up as he goes along :smile:

I can imagine it now

"We need a 'no right turn' sign but have run out"
"Just take one of the 'no left turn' signs and put it upside-down, we have loads of them"

LOL :smile:

subaqua

What’s the point
Ok, so the Manager just makes it up as he goes along :smile:

I can imagine it now

"We need a 'no right turn' sign but have run out"
"Just take one of the 'no left turn' signs and put it upside-down, we have loads of them"

LOL :smile:

you ain't that far from the truth there.:whistle:

the directional arrows on the red signs are mounted with a nut and bolt in the centre to enable the direction to be changed quite easily. . the contraflow signage is similar to enable the quick alteration without needing a new sign.

NSRWA 1991 is quite specific in signage to be used and Local authority/ Police will come down hard on those who don't comply.Chapter 8 ties in nicely with this.
a City and Guild qualification is also required for supervisors and operatives ( ideally all operatives but in reality at least one per "gang"/"team" )

Davidc

Guru
It means that the road ahead is closed and if you ignore the sign and go up it you'll be shot with an arrow fired from the left hand side of the road.

Top Bottom