Road Sign Recognition.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Apparently, locals in the Lambeth areas of the Smoke are up in arms and warning motorists who drive past the red circle signs featuring a car and motorbike silhouette in some of their streets actually means they shouldn't be there at all and they'll land a £130 fine.
According to the article, about a third of said motorists don't understand what the sign means; with some others thinking it means only cars & motorbikes can go through.
Said signage was part of the 'new wave' of updating / compliant with the rest of Europe signs that were introduced in the late '60s.
So after nearly sixty years of the sign in question being in use, what rock are some of today's drivers hiding under - ? :whistle:
On a lighter note, when these new signs came in, we had great fun at school dreaming up alternative meanings for them; this particular one being 'Beware of low flying Motorbikes.' :rofl:

Drago

Legendary Member
The ****wits deserve the fine and points if they can't read a basic bleeding roadsign.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Screenshot 2023-12-16 at 16.25.35.png
This "ambiguous/unclear" signage in Jarrow, Tyne & Wear apparently confused over 40 drivers per day. Last figures I read, over £400,000 in fines has been collected, in about 3 years.

They walk (or drive) among us ;)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
View attachment 716239 This "ambiguous/unclear" signage in Jarrow, Tyne & Wear apparently confused over 40 drivers per day. Last figures I read, over £400,000 in fines has been collected, in about 3 years.

They walk (or drive) among us ;)

I got caught out trying to get out of a car park i. Glouscester Docks. Went round and round trying to find the way out then, ***k I'm in a bus lane. I wasn't sure I could back up by that point, or maybe it was too late by then but I was caught and fined. OK granted I should have backed up the 50 yards (maybe too late to avoid fine?) and tried again to find the proper exit, but I'd got increasingly flustered by then. It was a bit unsatisfactory to get fined because finding the legit way out was confusing to say the least

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I got caught out trying to get out of a car park i. Glouscester Docks. Went round and round trying to find the way out then, ***k I'm in a bus lane. I wasn't sure I could back up by that point, or maybe it was too late by then but I was caught and fined. OK granted I should have backed up the 50 yards (maybe too late to avoid fine?) and tried again to find the proper exit, but I'd got increasingly flustered by then. It was a bit unsatisfactory to get fined because finding the legit way out was confusing to say the least

It's a conspiracy :whistle:

gbb

Legendary Member

It can happen. I got my bus lane ticket in Mansfield a few years ago. I turned into a road correctly in the dark, realised it was the wrong road, did a quick turn around ( it was very quiet), headed back, got to some TLs, to then see the bus only lane repeaters....arghhhh, I'm now in a bus lane, I'd joined it half way.
My bad, I took the fine....

classic33

Leg End Member
Apparently, locals in the Lambeth areas of the Smoke are up in arms and warning motorists who drive past the red circle signs featuring a car and motorbike silhouette in some of their streets actually means they shouldn't be there at all and they'll land a £130 fine.
According to the article, about a third of said motorists don't understand what the sign means; with some others thinking it means only cars & motorbikes can go through.
Said signage was part of the 'new wave' of updating / compliant with the rest of Europe signs that were introduced in the late '60s.
So after nearly sixty years of the sign in question being in use, what rock are some of today's drivers hiding under - ? :whistle:
On a lighter note, when these new signs came in, we had great fun at school dreaming up alternative meanings for them; this particular one being 'Beware of low flying Motorbikes.' :rofl:
Remember this advert?

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IawIJQdHUhQ

Top Bottom