Road signs that take the p--s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I admit I struggle up hills, but if there is a bend or you can't see over the brow, quite often in massive White letters painted on the road is the word 'SLOW' I know this is for a safety point of view but I can't help thinking that the person who painted it is mocking me!
Any other signs that seem to have a double meaning?

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
I admit I struggle up hills, but if there is a bend or you can't see over the brow, quite often in massive White letters painted on the road is the word 'SLOW' I know this is for a safety point of view but I can't help thinking that the person who painted it is mocking me!
Any other signs that seem to have a double meaning?

There's one near me for a village called Spins - this is as the bottom of a hill, and serves as a gentle reminder not to grind.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
IMG_0170.JPG

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Holmes Moss has 'distance to go' markers every quarter mile (for cyclists) doesn't half wear you down when you've got over 2 miles to go.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
On the 'flattish seaside century' forum ride earlier this year, I was in a small group of tired riders coming back in the dark towards our finish in Whalley and we came to a sign showing Whalley, 3 miles.

We rode on for about another 1/2 mile towards Whalley and came to another sign - Whalley, 3.5 miles - aaaaaaargh! It's really hard to trust your GPS when the road signs tell you that you are going in the wrong direction ... (We weren't!)

(Another 1/2 mile on, we came to a 3rd sign - Whalley, 3 miles ... If I'd spotted another one showing 3.5, I'd have screamed!)

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Reminds me of a friend's sense of humour failure when nearing the end of our coast to coast and back ride last summer - at about the 4th signpost that said 'Carlisle 9 miles'...

(and no, we hadn't gone the wrong way either!)

A while back on a cycling Holiday on Sardinia our last ride guided was in torrential rain; I not surprised most folk abandoned or didn't start and the guides stayed in their van, but this Fifer was getting his moneys worth ;). With unknown distance to go and soaked I passed a sign which seemed to say 'Pedal longer'. It was a rest day the next day so I pedalled back and it was actually 'Perdalonga'.
PIC_0120.JPG

Top Bottom