Road Tax Complaint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

VED is a bit of a stuffy, legal term. When you correct people who use the term 'road tax', tell them it should be called car tax, because this is what it's called on the direct.gov.uk site. 'Vehicle excise duty' may be its official term but it's a bit mealy for most people. Car tax is fine.

Eat MY Dust said:
My boss was complaining to me today that his household road tax bill now reaches £2000. That'll teach him!!!

Maz said:
2k!...even at Band G prices [400 quid/year] that amounts to 5 gas guzzlers.
that's some going...

exactly... he wasn't complaining about having to pay 2 grand a year in road, sorry car, tax, he was simply boasting about how many cars he's got.

bonj said:
exactly... he wasn't complaining about having to pay 2 grand a year in road, sorry car, tax, he was simply boasting about how many cars he's got.

You've probably hit the nail on the head there!

Noodley

I hope any newcomers don't start with this thread.

Nor some of us "old buggers" don't stumble into this shite either - I wish I'd stabbed myself in the leg with a fork on page one.

Noodley

Eat MY Dust said:
lol, you still felt the desire to post a comment though!!

Aye. That I wish I'd stabbed myself early on. Nothing to do with whatever pedantic pish others were on about - everyone knows what "road tax" is, no need to go bloody on about it.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
bonj said:
"VED is a bit of a stuffy, legal term. When you correct people who use the term 'road tax', tell them it should be called car tax, because this is what it's called on the direct.gov.uk site. 'Vehicle excise duty' may be its official term but it's a bit mealy for most people. Car tax is fine".
QUOTE]

You can't call it car tax because vans, motorcycles and trucks have it too. And road tax isn't accurate because you still need it if you leave your car on the pavement.

So VED it is, then.

Anybody want to borrow a sharp fork?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Eat MY Dust said:
Are you allowed to park on the pavement?

In some parts of London & Brighton cars are parked half on/half off the pavement in order that traffic can pass down a narrow street.
For this you still need to pay VED, ahhhh there now, I almost typed R**d T*x!xx(

bonj2

Smokin Joe said:
You can't call it car tax because vans, motorcycles and trucks have it too. And road tax isn't accurate because you still need it if you leave your car on the pavement.

So VED it is, then.

Anybody want to borrow a sharp fork?

I don't call it car tax "because vans, motorcycles and trucks have it too", I call it car tax because that's what the government calls it.

simoncc

The government's complicated method of linking car tax to emissions is needlessly bureaucratic and expensive and based on a desire to raise cash, not cut emissions. Scrap the tax and put the fuel tax up, so someone pays tax on every gallon they buy and use rather than on the irrelevant issue of what car they own. A Fiesta driven for 20,000 miles per year chucks out more CO2 and causes more congestion than a 4x4 driven for 1,000 so the Fiesta driver should pay more road tax not less.

The current car tax system is like the council tax on houses. Big house big tax, small house small tax, regardless of the council services actually used. Big car big tax, small car small tax is not the best way to encourage less car use. Tax on fuel is obviously the best way to link car tax directly to fuel used and congestion caused.

Renard

tdr1nka said:
By that I presume you mean becoming a parent?;)

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I know what you mean although the point I was making was that the car drivers amongst us really are a bunch of fannies when you count up how much it costs to run a car. I have to run a car for my work and I would be much better off without it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Eat MY Dust said:
He's got enough cash whatever the charge!! Pity he couldn't pass some of it over to me!

"The thing is, using the term 'road tax' helps perpetuate the myth that somehow, it's motorists that pay for the roads"

I completely understand what you are saying, but if after over half a decade people still refer to it as road tax, I think that a few people in lycra are never going to change people's minds (as when people still talk about rate, council tax etc.)

It's a bit longer than that, since the 1930s I believe. And there's no such thing as road tax.

Top Bottom