1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Tax Complaint

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Eat MY Dust, 20 Mar 2008.

1. My boss was complaining to me today that his household road tax bill now reaches £2000. That'll teach him!!!

2. Renard

Renard Guest

He drives his house on the road???

3. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

WTF is 'household road tax' supposed to be?

4. OP
    OP
    Eat MY Dust

Eat MY Dust New Member

I'm sorry maybe I should have explained it better (although I thought it was quite simple). When I said "household road tax" I was talking about how much road tax he and his family have to pay accumulatively for their cars. As in "household income".

5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

He's got too many cars then...shame !

6. Maz

Maz Guru

2k!...even at Band G prices [400 quid/year] that amounts to 5 gas guzzlers.
    that's some going...

7. OP
    OP
    Eat MY Dust

Eat MY Dust New Member

Yup, I also overheard something about disablity badges today. Trying to avoid the £25 congestion charge perhaps?

8. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Repeat after me...

"There is no such thing as road tax. It is Vehicle Excise Duty: payable in respect of the vehicle, not the road."

9. davidwalton

davidwalton New Member

Thank you, and the changes in VED are in relation to VEHICLE ownership, not roads. At no time does a vehicle, or vehicle group own a road.

10. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Ahahahahahahaaaahaaaahaaaa!!!!!

11. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

I think I pay about 10p per mile on VED these days, given my car might do 1700 miles say this year..... blooming expensive...ah well !!!!

12. OP
    OP
    Eat MY Dust

Eat MY Dust New Member

OK let's get something straight. I am well aware that there is no such thing as "road tax" and that the proper terminology is VED. BUT if you are going to be pedantic about it, then so be it. I'm pretty sure if you were to go into a post office or a police station and ask about VED, they'd probably think you were talking about some kind of sexual infection or explosive device. In fact I actually feel like I'm being told off by the classroom geek.

13. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

No, last time I renewed the VED for my car at the post office, the person behind the counter knew exactly what VED was. :biggrin:

The thing is, using the term 'road tax' helps perpetuate the myth that somehow, it's motorists that pay for the roads, which somehow, legitimises the bad behaviour of too many with cries of 'Cyclists don't pay road tax' or 'I pay my road tax!' to cyclists by errant motorists and the tabloid press in their eyes. It's the 'poor, put-upon, beleagured motorist' syndrome. That's why the use of the term 'road tax' should be challenged. :tongue:

14. Maz

Maz Guru

Yeah, but was he thinking to himself "classroom geek"?

I take your point about prepetuating the myth, though.

15. Danny

Danny Legendary Member

Unfortunately the real message from this is that VED is still not high enough to make him consider getting rid of some of his cars.