Road Tax Complaint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Renard

He drives his house on the road???

I'm sorry maybe I should have explained it better (although I thought it was quite simple). When I said "household road tax" I was talking about how much road tax he and his family have to pay accumulatively for their cars. As in "household income".

Maz

Guru
2k!...even at Band G prices [400 quid/year] that amounts to 5 gas guzzlers.
that's some going...

davidwalton

wafflycat said:
Repeat after me...

"There is no such thing as road tax. It is Vehicle Excise Duty: payable in respect of the vehicle, not the road."

Thank you, and the changes in VED are in relation to VEHICLE ownership, not roads. At no time does a vehicle, or vehicle group own a road.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I think I pay about 10p per mile on VED these days, given my car might do 1700 miles say this year..... blooming expensive...ah well !!!!

OK let's get something straight. I am well aware that there is no such thing as "road tax" and that the proper terminology is VED. BUT if you are going to be pedantic about it, then so be it. I'm pretty sure if you were to go into a post office or a police station and ask about VED, they'd probably think you were talking about some kind of sexual infection or explosive device. In fact I actually feel like I'm being told off by the classroom geek.

wafflycat

No, last time I renewed the VED for my car at the post office, the person behind the counter knew exactly what VED was. :biggrin:

The thing is, using the term 'road tax' helps perpetuate the myth that somehow, it's motorists that pay for the roads, which somehow, legitimises the bad behaviour of too many with cries of 'Cyclists don't pay road tax' or 'I pay my road tax!' to cyclists by errant motorists and the tabloid press in their eyes. It's the 'poor, put-upon, beleagured motorist' syndrome. That's why the use of the term 'road tax' should be challenged. :tongue:

Maz

Guru
wafflycat said:
No, last time I renewed the VED for my car at the post office, the person behind the counter knew exactly what VED was. :biggrin:
Yeah, but was he thinking to himself "classroom geek"?

I take your point about prepetuating the myth, though.

Danny

Legendary Member
Eat MY Dust said:
My boss was complaining to me today that his household road tax bill now reaches £2000. That'll teach him!!!

Unfortunately the real message from this is that VED is still not high enough to make him consider getting rid of some of his cars.

Top Bottom