Road Tax Complaint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidwalton

Eat MY Dust said:
What do you call the VED "certificate" that car owners are obliged to put on their windscreens?

I bet you call them "tax discs"!!!

Your point being what?

VED is a tax, a tax on the Vehicle.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I'd love to pay some sort of VED just to be able to wave under the noses of some London cabbies, they call for it but would have a hard time accepting it meant some form of equality between road users.

davidwalton

Eat MY Dust said:
Although if you prove that your vehicle isn't on the road, you pay no "duty" so everyfink to do with the road I'd say.

It is to do with use of the vehicle, hence also requiring a current MOT certificate when purchasing VED. All to do with the vehicle.

Maz

Guru
It might be worth thinking of VED as standing for Vehicle Emission Duty [although it doesn't stand for that]...i.e. it's to do with how much pollutants the vehicle emits, the heavier the polluter, the higher the tax.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
EMD; "Although if you prove that your vehicle isn't on the road, you pay no "duty" so everyfink to do with the road I'd say."

No, that just says VED has something to do with the road but only if a car is not actually on the road.

Don't worry, I find it all a bit barking too.xx(

davidwalton

Eat MY Dust said:
Yes but only on a vehicle that uses the road.

Use of the vehicle being the important bit here. You and your car MUST be licensed before being allowed on the road. The driver only needs to pass a simple couple of tests to get their license once, but a car license (VED and MOT) must be renewed every year.

wafflycat

VED is indeed a tax: a *vehicle* tax. It is not 'road tax'. I can legitimately use the road without paying a specific 'road tax' by simply being a pedestrian or a horse rider or by being a non-motor vehicle-owning, yet motor driving holder of a full driving licence. VED is simply nothing more than a way of parking the vehicle on the public highway in such a way that it doesn't cause an obstruction. It confers no rights to drive a vehicle on the road. But this is digressing away from the main theme of the thread.

I'm not actually arguing with you guys. I' m just pointing out (trying to) that the vast majority of people wouldn't have a foggiest when you mention VED. I'm sure you could walk into a primary school and ask a bunch of 5 year olds "what does daddy pay on his car" andthey would reply "road tax".

From the BBC:

" From 2009, major reform of the vehicle excise duty. For new cars from 2010, the lowest-polluting cars will pay no road tax in the first year, with the highest-polluting cars paying £950."

The Gaurdian:

"Annual road tax will then be charged at up to £440 for cars such as Jaguars, Range Rovers and even some people carriers, emitting more than 255 grams of carbon dioxide per kilometre"

From the horses (donkeys) mouth:

"'The road tax system should do more to support the use of more carbon-efficient, and therefore less costly cars. This will help reduce average carbon dioxide levels in new cars.' said Darling."

wafflycat

He's no decent chancellor either! He's a politician - I don't expect accuracy from them either. xx(

Edit: the one minor saving grace of his predecessor - Auld Broon referred to Vehicle Excise Duty in his budget speeches.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
[wanders in from pub mid conversation]... No such thing as road tax? Blimey, that'll save me a few quid. [wanders of to toilet, scratching arse and wondering why everyone's muttering]

Maz

Guru
I agree with EMD...it seems engrained in everyone's minds that it's called Road Tax...which is a shame when it comes to those drivers who complain at cyclists not paying road tax.

But Ho hum...who said life was fair?

Top Bottom