Road Tax Complaint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidwalton

Well, to those who ask stupid questions and don't like the answers, don't raise stupid questions.

For those wanting to call VED Road Tax, I think you are just sheep.

To those who need to damage themselves, seek help:biggrin::biggrin:

wafflycat

Noodley said:
Aye. That I wish I'd stabbed myself early on. Nothing to do with whatever pedantic pish others were on about - everyone knows what "road tax" is, no need to go bloody on about it.

There's the thing: they don't, in many cases. ;)

In many cases they think they're paying a road tax that gives them a right to be on the roads as in, "I pay my bloody road tax, I have a right to be here!" Which is, of course, utterly wrong. :biggrin:

davidwalton

wafflycat said:
There's the thing: they don't, in many cases. ;)

In many cases they think they're paying a road tax that gives them a right to be on the roads as in, "I pay my bloody road tax, I have a right to be here!" Which is, of course, utterly wrong. :biggrin:

I even had a family member who did not know. It really shocked me that they didn't as well. Now, I ASS/U/ME no knowledge when it comes to anything to do with cycling or vehicles and the tax required.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Many words and phrases have been adopted into everyday language - hoover and biro to name but two words, Can you hoover your carpet with a Dyson? Of course you can. Do you want to use my biro? All of my daughters use the phrase 'a few bob' and yet they were born after £.s.d went. So, we all know it is VED but car tax and road tax are acceptable.
wafflycat, I do not see why you are getting worked up about it but before complaining about other's use of language, please put your own house in order:
wafflycat said:
It's the offspring's new steed.
Can you not tell the difference between a horse and a bicycle? If you can refer to a bicycle as a 'steed' then others can refer to VED as road tax!

davidwalton

mr_hippo said:
Many words and phrases have been adopted into everyday language - hoover and biro to name but two words, Can you hoover your carpet with a Dyson? Of course you can. Do you want to use my biro? All of my daughters use the phrase 'a few bob' and yet they were born after £.s.d went. So, we all know it is VED but car tax and road tax are acceptable.
wafflycat, I do not see why you are getting worked up about it but before complaining about other's use of language, please put your own house in order:
Can you not tell the difference between a horse and a bicycle? If you can refer to a bicycle as a 'steed' then others can refer to VED as road tax!

Basically what you are saying is that because someone might be wrong about one thing they have no business trying to ensure another thing is not used incorrectly.:biggrin::ohmy:

That must mean nobody has any right to correct anyone else over anything.;)

Given that the term Road Tax is used against cyclists, is it hard to understand that for any cyclist to not correct such use is just like punching yourself in the face?

wafflycat

mr_hippo said:

You've got it wrong. This thread has, for the most part, been polite, in good humour, use of smilies, so hardly 'getting worked up about it'. That's for over in soapbox, not here. As for 'road tax', tell me exactly what is so wrong, then, for pointing out the fact that there is no such thing: especially when this ficticious tax is used by a noticeable minority in rants to get cyclists off the road. So far I haven't had any motorists should at me "Bloody cyclists! Haven't bought a Dyson!" Yet the cry of "Bloody cyclists don't even pay for the roads with road tax!" is used against cyclists. Of course, you may have had a 'hoover tax' argument used against you by a motorist. in which case, I apologise *visualises Matthew Parris-stylee ranting motorist brandishing his bagless best at some innocent cyclist* ;):biggrin:

simoncc said:
The government's complicated method of linking car tax to emissions is needlessly bureaucratic and expensive and based on a desire to raise cash, not cut emissions. Scrap the tax and put the fuel tax up, so someone pays tax on every gallon they buy and use rather than on the irrelevant issue of what car they own. A Fiesta driven for 20,000 miles per year chucks out more CO2 and causes more congestion than a 4x4 driven for 1,000 so the Fiesta driver should pay more road tax not less.

The current car tax system is like the council tax on houses. Big house big tax, small house small tax, regardless of the council services actually used. Big car big tax, small car small tax is not the best way to encourage less car use. Tax on fuel is obviously the best way to link car tax directly to fuel used and congestion caused.

That sort of happens already doesn’t it – I mean, there is already tax on fuel, so the more you use the more you pay. I think the point of linking VED/Tax to the emissions of the vehicle is done so for many reasons – encourages people to think about buying less polluting car – encourages manufacturers to become more efficient – bigger cars take more energy to make/deliver/dispose of etc.

Regarding your council tax analogy, I know what your getting at, but the difference in the fuel tax /duty paid for doing 20K miles in a fiesta and 1K in a 4x4 is going to put the relative rates of vehicle duty right into the shade - your fiesta driver inthe above situation will pay far more tax than the 4x4 owner overall.

In short – I think the tax system is pretty fair in that the more polluting the car and the further you drive, the more tax you pay.

Also, read the other day that many London councils are thinking of extending Richmond councils idea of charging bigger cars more for residents parking permits and also introducing scaled parking charges for all – the higher your VED/Tax the more you’re charged per hour to park.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
BentMikey said:
It's a bit longer than that, since the 1930s I believe. And there's no such thing as road tax.

To clarify, the 'Road Fund Licence' was in operation until 1936.

davidwalton

tdr1nka said:
And those over 100 should still refer to cars as 'Horseless Carriages'.
In fact, bring back the men with red flags!!

Perhaps as time has moved on, each car should follow a cycle with a red flag, rather than a man running. Sports cars could then hire the faster road cyclists, and the cheapskates can hire the likes of me:biggrin::biggrin:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
davidwalton said:
Given that the term Road Tax is used against cyclists, is it hard to understand that for any cyclist to not correct such use is just like punching yourself in the face?
If there was an award for the most stupid forum quote of 2008 then that one would win!

A quick search:-
Google UK - Car tax: 674,000 references
Google UK - Road tax: 1,020,000 references
Google UK - Vehicle excise duty: 173,000 references
So what does this tell us? Out of 1876000 references, the least popular term is Vehicle Excise Duty! Just three official sites who use either 'car tax' or 'road tax'.
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/jump1?catId=19100187&mediaId=19100193
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/index.htm
Please complain to the government, DVLA and the Post Office about the use of 'car tax' and 'road tax'.

davidwalton

mr_hippo said:
If there was an award for the most stupid forum quote of 2008 then that one would win!

A quick search:-
Google UK - Car tax: 674,000 references
Google UK - Road tax: 1,020,000 references
Google UK - Vehicle excise duty: 173,000 references
So what does this tell us? Out of 1876000 references, the least popular term is Vehicle Excise Duty! Just three official sites who use either 'car tax' or 'road tax'.
http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/jump1?catId=19100187&mediaId=19100193
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/index.htm
Please complain to the government, DVLA and the Post Office about the use of 'car tax' and 'road tax'.

So lets continue being bombarded with idiots shouting that we have no rights because we don't pay Road Tax then. Don't even bother to educate them.

Sorry, but your way gets us ZERO. My way at least makes SOME people more aware.

BTW - I hope you were just fishing and not being an idiot;) Being in the majority has NEVER meant something is right!!!

Top Bottom