Road tyres for my MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike!

Guru
I have a Scott Tampico that is about 10 years old but has had very little use.

Am going to convert it for my 5 mile each way commute to work and see how i get on rather than just buy a new bike to start with.

The commute is all tarmac but i do have the option of crossing a heathland path if i want to.

Looking for a set of tyres to handle this which will roll a lot better than the standard knobbly ones i have at the moment.

What would you recommend?

Norm

Schwalbe City Jets in 26x1.5 (assuming you have 26" rims, that is).

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
Yes I have 26" rims Norm.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. My local shop recommended city jets but as I've never used the shop before thought I should check on here just incase they are just trying to sell what they have stuck on the shelf!

Norm

Mike! said:
My local shop recommended city jets but as I've never used the shop before thought I should check on here just incase they are just trying to sell what they have stuck on the shelf!
As I've just looked them up for another post, I do think that the City Jets are good tyres, but check out the online prices before you part with your cash. :biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Mike! said:
Yes I have 26" rims Norm.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. My local shop recommended city jets but as I've never used the shop before thought I should check on here just incase they are just trying to sell what they have stuck on the shelf!

Hi Mike what local shop would that be ? I can thoroughly recommend Pedal Power at Martlesham Heath

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
4F said:
Hi Mike what local shop would that be ? I can thoroughly recommend Pedal Power at Martlesham Heath

That would be Elmy cycles, had a quick look both there and Thomas's yesterday. Have never been into Pedal Power but will drop in this week sometime!

I always check online prices (and ebay) before parting Norm but thanks for that Link.

4F

Mike! said:
That would be Elmy cycles, had a quick look both there and Thomas's yesterday. Have never been into Pedal Power but will drop in this week sometime!

I always check online prices (and ebay) before parting Norm but thanks for that Link.

Elmy are excellent if a little pricey, Thomas's I don't really like the attitude of the staff, Pedal Power excellent but closed on Mondays, Moon Cycles Norwich Road nice blokes but never have anything in that I want and crap at ordering anything in.

That pretty much sums it up, whatever you do though avoid those sharks on London Road up near Sainsbury's. Forget the name now but they are really really dodgy

OP
OP
Mike!

Mike!

Guru
4F said:
Elmy are excellent if a little pricey, Thomas's I don't really like the attitude of the staff, Pedal Power excellent but closed on Mondays, Moon Cycles Norwich Road nice blokes but never have anything in that I want and crap at ordering anything in.

That pretty much sums it up, whatever you do though avoid those sharks on London Road up near Sainsbury's. Forget the name now but they are really really dodgy

LOL those 'sharks' (Ranelagh Cycle Warehouse) sold me my Scott about 10 years ago :becool:

4F

Mike! said:
LOL those 'sharks' (Ranelagh Cycle Warehouse) sold me my Scott about 10 years ago :becool:

That's them :laugh:

fosco

4F said:
Good shout, thats what I used to run on my mtb

Been running these tyres for many miles, they're nice and p******e resistant. With my previous Stelvios I'd get a flat every 50 miles or so.

Top Bottom