Road tyres for wet conditions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Gatorskins can be dicey in the wet, particularly when taking corners, and my only advice when using them in the wet is to stay as upright as possible, avoid banking into corners, slow down; that said, they were my winter/wet weather tyres for the last ten years! I have recently switched to Hutchison fusion 5 all season tyres, so far so good but years of riding with gatorskins has kind of normalised my risk averse riding style in the wet, so I can't report meaningfully on whether they've got more grip in the wet.

GP 4 Seasons - great tyre for year-round commuting and for longer rides. The compound is better than most in cold, wet weather.
I found them great up to around 4,500miles then they would seem to delaminate overnight :wacko:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
M+ are as good as anything. Diesel spills and white lines will catch out any tyre. I found Schwalbe City Jets to be utterly terrifying on any wet road.

OP
OP
K

Kcyclist

Hi all. Ended up getting rubino pro control ( rear) and standard rubino pro on front .
Been out a few rides on them, so far so good. Hopefully a decent option for commuting and fitness riding
Thanks for advice.and happy cycling! 👍

si_c

Guru
I rate Vittoria tyres highly, Zaffiro Pros or Rubino Pros, the former win out by an edge, slightly better overall I think. Rubinos tend to be slightly less durable.

That being said I also like Bontrager AW2 tyres, lots of grip even in terrible conditions and good durability.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I used to have a similar opinion of gatorskins to most people on here, ie bone hard ride and slippery in the wet.
I have them on my winter / commuter and used to inflate them to Continental's recommended pressure, 95 psi for a 700x28.

The first commute after a long period off the bike due to broken radial head it became apparent that the ride seemed much better than I remembered. When I eventually got round to checking the pressures they were at 40psi front and 55 psi rear. After further experimentation I now inflate them to 60 front 75 rear every few weeks. Apart from improving the ride the grip seems to have improved as well, albeit I don't push it in the wet.

And the only snakebite I ever had with a gatorskin was when I had them at full pressure.

Top Bottom