Road tyres for wet conditions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kcyclist

Regular
Hi all any recommendations for road tyres in the wet?
Currently using Continental Gatorskin 28mm. I do a mix of general fitness riding and commuting.
I recently came off bike - taking roundabout in wet conditions. Probably just going too fast but not sure if there are better tyres for wet conditions? I live in Glasgow so it rains often!

Thanks

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Gatorskins have a reputation for being slippy - 'skaterskins'. I stopped using them after a similar issue.

For commuting there's a lot, including me, who use Vittoria Rubino / Rubino + tyres, and Schwalbe Durano. For general riding I use Continental's GP4000 / GP5000 / GP 4 Seasons.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I’m probably not the best person to comment on this but I thought I’d throw this into the mix.
@Kcyclist with road bikes there is only a very small footprint the tyre has with road and the issue of oil, diesel or other contaminates obviously affect grip. Also due to narrow contact point there’s no possibility of aqua planing. Despite this some manufacturers put on a tread pattern maybe lulling us thinking it provides more grip the wet, it does not. It’s all to do with the compound used.
Id be interested to see what other tyres CCers recommend for wet conditions.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Roundabouts are always sketchy in the wet. Lots of diesel spills.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
The amount of rain fallen/falling in Lancaster I am thinking of a small inflatable rather than a push iron :sad:

Yup - 30 miles North of you and I have had enough of the weather since the start of the year.

To keep on topic - Marathon Supremes seem to be sticky enough in the wet although I tend to avoid wet like the veritable plague that it is.

OP
OP
K

Kcyclist

Regular
I’m probably not the best person to comment on this but I thought I’d throw this into the mix.
@Kcyclist with road bikes there is only a very small footprint the tyre has with road and the issue of oil, diesel or other contaminates obviously affect grip. Also due to narrow contact point there’s no possibility of aqua planing. Despite this some manufacturers put on a tread pattern maybe lulling us thinking it provides more grip the wet, it does not. It’s all to do with the compound used.
Id be interested to see what other tyres CCers recommend for wet conditions.

OP
OP
K

Kcyclist

Regular
Thanks all.
Appreciate what you are saying about road conditions but don't feel I could trust the Gators again.
Thinking rubino pro g+ would be a a good option?
Previously had a set of Corsa open pave which were amazing but not hard wearing so rubinos maybe a good compromise of grip, puncture resistance and longevity. Anyone used these tyres??

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks all.
Appreciate what you are saying about road conditions but don't feel I could trust the Gators again.
Thinking rubino pro g+ would be a a good option?
Previously had a set of Corsa open pave which were amazing but not hard wearing so rubinos maybe a good compromise of grip, puncture resistance and longevity. Anyone used these tyres??
I run a pair on my non commute bike. I wouldn't say that have a lot of longevity. They seem wear quite quickly. Nice, grippy tyres though

chris-suffolk

Another vote for Durano +. Despite being hard wearing, they also have good grip. Seems contradictory to do both, but they seem to manage it.

Hi all any recommendations for road tyres in the wet?
Currently using Continental Gatorskin 28mm. I do a mix of general fitness riding and commuting.
I recently came off bike - taking roundabout in wet conditions. Probably just going too fast but not sure if there are better tyres for wet conditions? I live in Glasgow so it rains often!

Thanks
I came off on 32c Gatorskins a couple of months back, it was very slippery though. Always found Duranos solid in poor weather as others have said.

Top Bottom