Roadbike and now thinking of e-bike..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ray316

Über Member
l have a boardman roadbike and use it nearly ever day for casual riding and do about 15 miles every time l use it, so l,m fairly fit for cycling.
l,m now looking at getting a mountain hybrid bike for the winter season and dont know if l should go for a peddle as you go or a e-bike.
My question especially to people who have a e-bike ..... Are they any good, would like to know the pros and cons of owning a e-bike.
l went into a well known bike shop the other day and was looking at a hybrid mountain and asking questions to a member of staff and was left unsure as he said you can sometimes get problems with the battery , also obviously had alot more weight than a normal mountain bike.
Can l have you thoughts and advice as l,m really unsure what to do, or is it best to just go for a normal bike...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The obvious question is: If you get by fine on a normal road bike, why wouldn't you be fine with a normal mountain bike?

If you WANT an e-bike, fine, but it doesn't sound like you NEED one!

I imagine that most e-mountain bikes weigh 20-25+ kg (?) whereas you should be able to get conventional hardtail mountain bike that weighed half that. If you have a really heavy bike then you will probably not want to be riding it uphill without the motor assisting you, but riding a light hardtail is fairly easy.

Biker man

l have a boardman roadbike and use it nearly ever day for casual riding and do about 15 miles every time l use it, so l,m fairly fit for cycling.
l,m now looking at getting a mountain hybrid bike for the winter season and dont know if l should go for a peddle as you go or a e-bike.
My question especially to people who have a e-bike ..... Are they any good, would like to know the pros and cons of owning a e-bike.
l went into a well known bike shop the other day and was looking at a hybrid mountain and asking questions to a member of staff and was left unsure as he said you can sometimes get problems with the battery , also obviously had alot more weight than a normal mountain bike.
Can l have you thoughts and advice as l,m really unsure what to do, or is it best to just go for a normal bike...
I am on my second ebike ,I love it and have done 12500 miles in just over two years takes me all over the place ,only advice I would say get a good one ,buy cheap buy twice.

OP
OP
R

ray316

Über Member
ok , so if l can for a mountain bike or hybrid\mountain bike anyone recommend any .
Then also recommend on a e-bike..

Mrs M

Guru
Mr M has a Cube Reaction hybrid e bike. (around £2500).
Loves it and does around 20+ miles 5 days a week.
I have a Trek semi fat mtb and a Pashley cruiser, (which weighs 16kg) both great fun.
My no1 bike is my aGiant road e bike.
Just such a buzz to ride, longer rides, less sweaty and less exhausted.
Try a few bikes out and see what makes you smile 😃
Happy shopping!

gzoom

Über Member
@ray316 Ignore the whole 'you are fit why do you need an eBike' brigade.

I'm done LEJOG, I've ridden analogue bikes all my life, I've even very nearly got a local KOM on Strava, I wish I had tried/bought an eBike sooner.

My one is coming up to 2 years old now, I did have issue with motor, but actually now its pretty solid. I pretty much ride my eBike all the time now over my road bike, the eBike is just more fun. If money was not an issue (any my wife let me) I would happily buy a £4-5K eRoad bike.

Unless you like going slow I cannot see why any one would get an analogue bike over an eBike these days.

51230046575_4040cc8c08_k_d.jpg

ColinJ

I don't consider myself a 'brigade'! :okay:

Ray wrote...

l,m really unsure what to do, or is it best to just go for a normal bike...
... so it seems perfectly reasonable to question if he should/shouldn't just go for a normal bike!

Unless you like going slow I cannot see why any one would get an analogue bike over an eBike these days.
Haven't you got that the wrong way round? (Unless lots of climbing is involved, when I accept that ebikes might turn out to be a bit quicker overall.)

Legal ebikes are limited to 15.5 mph in the UK. Many/most riders can do more than that on the flat without any motor assistance.

CXRAndy

Guru
I use my ebike to allow me to ride in a lower zone over any terrain or wind conditions. I also use it for shopping or picnicking with the wife. We carry blankets, small hamper and chairs.

The additional weight and aero drag is cancelled by the motors capabilities

carpiste

Guru
Pros: They get people out and about when they otherwise would give up cycling (or never start)
You still have to pedal to go forward so it`s still exercise ( regardless of what some people say)
You can, generally, go further and are less intimidated by hills!
They come in all shapes, sizes, styles.
They are becoming more and more popular and the tech is improving all the time.
Cons: They are relatively expensive.
They are relatively heavy it you want to lift it over stiles etc.
You have to charge the batteries ( some people have no patience and unhappy with this)

I love my E Hybrid. You can decide if you think this is a pro or a con for yourself 😄

ColinJ

I also use it for shopping or picnicking with the wife. We carry blankets, small hamper and chairs.
If I lived up 'on the tops' rather than down in the valley I would definitely get an ebike for trips to the shops. (I don't drive and no way would I cycle up long 10-20% climbs carrying a rucksack with 10 kg of shopping in it! :eek:)

I grovelled up one such climb in the summer and was overtaken by a couple of women on ebikes who were chattering away and pedalling easily. I didn't see what machines they were riding but they looked very good and obviously had a lot of oomph. I'm fairly sure that they had mid-bike motors rather than the rear wheel type.

I'm done LEJOG, I've ridden analogue bikes all my life, I've even very nearly got a local KOM on Strava, I wish I had tried/bought an eBike sooner.

My one is coming up to 2 years old now, I did have issue with motor, but actually now its pretty solid. I pretty much ride my eBike all the time now over my road bike, the eBike is just more fun. If money was not an issue (any my wife let me) I would happily buy a £4-5K eRoad bike.

View attachment 620189

I'm happy for all types of bike but my average speed is higher than the cut off on the ebike. I'd still get the power on climbs or headwinds but for most of the ride I'd just be lugging a motor around ?

I'll save ebikes for the future ta.

gzoom

Über Member
Seems to me those who for some reason don't like eBikes are the ones who haven't ridden one or owned one.

I have no physicals problems riding an old fashioned analogue bike, but having now owned an eBike for a good while, I just don't see why any one given the choice would want to ride an non eBike??

Oh how many eBikes do you see going around town at 15.5mph speed limit, infact most eBikes I see around don't even need to be pedalled ;)......As me about powered scooters however am old fashioned on my opinion, but again purely because I've never tired one.

Top Bottom