Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Yes - some of the time

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • No - never

Votes: 45 53.6%
  • No - not a RoadID tag as such but an alternative

Votes: 24 28.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
I got an IceID mainly for when I'm doing long rides on my own (although to be honest my two long rides for 2013 never happened). I'll be wearing it on LEL although if anything happens they should be able to identify me from my rider number.

I found that IceID have less personal information on them (no address for example), it's just who I am, who to call, two phone numbers for them and also the fact I have no allergies.

I have one of these. Xmas present off mother. Not sure if it feels right with one?

For some reason they will engrave 15 characters when ordered via eBay, but only 11 via Amazon! :wacko:
Possibly a limitation of the gift box message system on Amazon (where's the shrug smilie :smile: )

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Possibly a limitation of the gift box message system on Amazon (where's the shrug smilie :smile: )

Shrug-smiley5.gif

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Mini Review!

I ordered a medical tag from County Engraving via Amazon on 19th July and it arrived today, 24th July.

The chain is only just long enough to fit over my ears! I do have a large head though (24 cm), so I think that 99% of you will not have a problem in that regard. The chain is lightweight so do not pull too hard on it, but you will hardly feel it when you are wearing the tag.

The tags are available in various colours. If you choose silver or gold, the engraved characters will be filled in black to make them stand out. I was concerned that the paint might wear off over time, so decided to get one of the other colours instead, with plain engraving. I chose black. I think the tag looks pretty good. Here's a snap I took of it, modelled by me ...

medical-tag.jpg

The engraving is done nicely and the tag is a nice weight. Solid, but not heavy. It should last for years - unfortunately, it looks as though I will be needing it to!

Apparently, you can get the tags from the same company on eBay and have lines of 15 characters rather than 11. If that is true, then the characters will be pretty small. 11 characters is enough for phone numbers and NHS numbers, though not enough for many full names. I chose initials/surname.

My verdict ...? Thumbs up! :thumbsup:

You can order through this link and because of Shaun's technical wizardry, I believe that he should get a few pence every time one of you orders.

PS It took me a few seconds to work out how to fix the end of the chain to the widget on the other end. This is how to do it ...

First check the length of the chain - if you have a small head, you might want to take a few links out before you close the chain. I needed all the links I could get!

Remember to thread the tag on before going any further!

Push the final little ball on the chain into the middle of the widget, then pull the chain back towards the empty end. The ball gets pulled back into place and locks there.

That's it!

Last edited:

heliphil

Guru
I have two Road ID bands - one for running which I keep with my running watch so I don't forget and one kept with my crash helmet - hopefully neither will ever get used in anger !!!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Not sure if millitary style dogtags on a string around your kneck would be a good idea. Could cause a fatal injury if caught on something in a crash. I imagine the ICE tags are on a chain designed to snap if pulled too hard.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not sure if millitary style dogtags on a string around your kneck would be a good idea. Could cause a fatal injury if caught on something in a crash. I imagine the ICE tags are on a chain designed to snap if pulled too hard.

Just got mine delivered today. Which is awesome seeing as I only ordered it yesterday afternoon.
And yes the chain would snap easy enough.

Mallory

Don't recall hearing about any military personnel being killed by theirs.

Anyhow it's hidden under your jersey/base layer so unless your riding like a pro, open jersey we should be okay ;)

Teuchter

Über Member
I used to have a medicalert (the one which has a phone number to access in depth details) but replaced it with an SOS pendant before a motorbike trip to the North of Norway... didn't want to rely on someone abroad in possibly remote areas having to phone the UK for information. The SOS pendant has a strip of paper inside it with full details including medical conditions and medication (I'm type 1 diabetic), emergency contact numbers, doctor's details, etc.

http://www.sostalisman.co.uk/

They're pricier than some alternatives to buy (about £30 for the stainless steel one I have) but no annual fee and hold a lot of data.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Don't recall hearing about any military personnel being killed by theirs.

Anyhow it's hidden under your jersey/base layer so unless your riding like a pro, open jersey we should be okay ;)
When the zips are down... that's when I go off my dog tags.

Top Bottom