Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Yes - some of the time

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • No - never

Votes: 45 53.6%
  • No - not a RoadID tag as such but an alternative

Votes: 24 28.6%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Just pure laziness on my part. I really should get some I know. My o/h get's very concerned especially after my off last year. I will put it on my list of stuff to do.

I have my contact's (o/h) name and number, as well as my name and "NO ALLERGIES" saved on the lock screen of my phone, which is generally mounted on the handlebar stem. Probably not going to be checked, but still marginally better than nothing.

Being on the stem it's away from the body, so I figure it's less likely to be crushed but still visible to passers-by or paramedics - I gather the latter are unlikely to look at things that aren't the patient in any case. This being a free option, it's only competing against no ID at all, rather than RoadID or other paid solutions, and can be combined with them if you choose to spend the money.

The phone itself is in a Topeak Drybag, which I would expect to survive incidental knocks, even (and perhaps especially) if it got separated from the bike. It's still toast if it goes under a wheel, but for 'free' I can live with that.

GrasB

Veteran
Someone I know ended up having a head on with a car, both doing 45-60mph moments before the collision. The remains of his saddle bag was just turned into shrapnel by CO2 canisters exploding; everything in it was blown up included his phone & wallet! The rider him self landed on his back & basically lost all of his clothing over his back, would have a phone survived? We'll never know for sure but considering his injuries the phone may well not have survived in a usable form. What we do know is that a medical information bracelet survived almost totally unscathed & his backup ankle bracelet was also readable.

So I ride with a dog tag tucked into my shoe & another one around my neck.

*nods* - I'm sure RoadID/dogtags will do far better than a phone, especially if you're doing those sorts of speeds. I'm just mentioning it for either commuting use or for the period between starting cycling and deciding that you want to buy something, particularly since I'm not talking about bunging the phone in a jersey pocket where one just sits on it anyway.

Col5632

Guru
I think the point @GrasB was making is its far better to have one than not :thumbsup:

Ciar

Veteran
I got the SoS dog tags, arrived and wearing them as I rode in today, perfect just need to get the rubber bits to stop the clanking :smile:

very quick delivery and for just £4.99.

Top Bottom