RoadRacer MK3-any users yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gez73

Veteran
Just found these have been released. They seem like the perfect option for the carbon disc bike as they require no mounting points or caliper bolts. Saw the YouTube video and intrigued. Anyone tried them yet? Will probably pull the trigger on these when I can get them from the lbs, not yet on sale everywhere. Gez

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I've just watched the video, can't say I'm that impressed. I wonder what is going to happen should one of the mudguard fixing points come undone at speed, would it just rattle about or would it end up in the spokes?
Also the guy pointed out the removal process simply involved just pressing the tabs of the guard to release them, again indicating how insecure the fixing points are and then to leave the fixing tape in situ "ready for refitting" the mudguards, surely by the time you want to fit the mudguards that bit of sticky tape is going to be clogged with road dirt making it unuseable.
The Mk2 crud catchers are pretty brittle but the mounting method imo is a damn site safer than the Mk3 and doesn't involve sticking patches to your bike.

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
Not sure the adhesive pads are sticky on both sides. Looks like some sort of hook and loop system for attaching the guard. Video suggests heat required to remove the pads which are then unusable. Would leave them on the frame anyway as they seem discreet enough. The MK2 requires brake bolts if I am not mistaken?

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Not sure the adhesive pads are sticky on both sides. Looks like some sort of hook and loop system for attaching the guard. Video suggests heat required to remove the pads which are then unusable. Would leave them on the frame anyway as they seem discreet enough. The MK2 requires brake bolts if I am not mistaken?

The Mk2 are hook and loop using rubber bands, they do not require brake bolts, they use cable ties much the same as the Mk3. I just don't like the idea of having mudguards held on with sticky patches and not much else. Taking into account the extremely high temperatures we have been seeing of late it makes me wonder if the glue would soften enough to have the mudguards come unstuck which given their mounting point could end up going into the spokes with the potential to cause a nasty accident.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
RRP £39.99!!!!! Not at that price, already discounted to around £30 of course,but I won't even think of trying them until they are less than £20! I was an 'early adopter of the Mk 1s and, as they were so easily damaged, a regular user of their (excellent) initial 'spare parts for 50p stamps'. I then used the MK2s, which I found better, especially the protection given by the wider part of the guard behind the front mech, but still too fragile. Meanwhile 'traditional' SKS guards are still going strong - and BTW no way could I could get RRs to fit a bike with Campag Skeleton brakes - which was what I bought them for originally.

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
I will ask my lbs for advice when I am next in. They seem ideal for the Orro. Thanks for the replies.
Gez

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
DSC_0109.JPG
Probably not. My lbs said no chance when I asked. I have an Orro Pro and there is considerably less than 4mm clearance. Annoyingly it has a seatstay bridge but is a disc braked bike so if that bridge was higher up it wouldn't be a problem! Will look into other options myself or use a different bike in the wet. You could have a look and see. You might be luckier than me. Gez View attachment 147162

Last edited:
View attachment 147163 Probably not. My lbs said no chance when I asked. I have an Orro Pro and there is considerably less than 4mm clearance. Annoyingly it has a seatstay bridge but is a disc braked bike so if that bridge was higher up it wouldn't be a problem! Will look into other options myself or use a different bike in the wet. You could have a look and see. You might be luckier than me. Gez View attachment 147162
Nice bike. Is it new? If so keep hold of your receipts and keep an eye on your rear hub if riding in the wet - see mine and @paulicc posts in this thread. Hope you have a better experience with yours :smile:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/genesis-datum.200005/page-3

Custom24

Über Member
Happy to say they do indeed fit my planet x rtd80 with 25 tyres

There is less than 4mm clearance between the tyre and fork, so there is now less than a 1mm gap there between the tyre and guard. I had to dispense with the nose part of the guard in the front as otherwise it rubbed.

Have tested them in the rain and they were fine. Any grit or leaves obviously rub with such tight clearances but it sorts itself out

Attachments

• IMG_2459.JPG
    IMG_2459.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 607

Custom24

Über Member
View attachment 147163 Probably not. My lbs said no chance when I asked. I have an Orro Pro and there is considerably less than 4mm clearance. Annoyingly it has a seatstay bridge but is a disc braked bike so if that bridge was higher up it wouldn't be a problem! Will look into other options myself or use a different bike in the wet. You could have a look and see. You might be luckier than me. Gez View attachment 147162
My clearance problem is at the front fork but as post above, it is just about OK. How much less than 4mm do you have at the seatstay bridge?

OP
OP
Gez73

Gez73

Veteran
My clearance problem is at the front fork but as post above, it is just about OK. How much less than 4mm do you have at the seatstay bridge?
Very little not measured but would guess at not much more than maybe two millimetres. Very little room. Tyres unsuitable for current weather anyway but would happily put something on if I could. Thanks for your post though. Gez

Tin Pot

Guru
Hi all.

Just added crud racers to my Cinelli Experience.

The front cannot be fitted - the piece that runs under the fork bridge and brake calliper cannot fit through. I'm running a 25mm gatorskins on the front.

The rear fits okay, only a 23mm gator on the rear which may help. Fitting is not all that easy, I'd recommend a stand and 30-45 mins faff:

The rear piece must be screwed together, but the screw itself makes it too tall to slide under the brake calliper. Nor is it easy to get the attachment into place. And then screw it together. And then realise you forgot to thread the cable tie first.

That said, it was easier to get in place than last years sks raceblade without rubbing. Worked on test ride, and only minor rubbing noticed on the 2hrs this morning. :okay:

Top Bottom