Roads in Manchester / Cheshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
I know there are a fair few on here from Manc / Cheshire area, so I am hoping to pick your brains.

We are travelling from Huddersfield to visit my mum and dad in Chester over Easter. To maximise the time with my kids but still get out on the bike I am thinking of riding there.

I know the roads to Glossop, and also from about Northwich to Chester but am a bit vague about the rest (when I was a kid in Chester I always used to head out to Wales!)

I was thinking something like Marple, Wilmslow, Knutsford, Great Budworth, Weaverham, Hatchmere, Great Barrow as it is fairly direct and it will be 75 / 80 miles even in a dead straight line which is good as I am not that fit and only have limited time.

Any roads to avoid in that area, any suggested route improvements?

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Dunno about the route, but it sounds like a lush ride!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If you are going through Wilmslow to Knutsford try to go via the back roads through Morley (Burleyhurst Lane) onto Mobberley past the Station to get to the main road to Knutsford or straight on to Ashley left at the cross roads and then through Tatton Park into Knutsford some nice picturesque roads and you can stay off the main roads for that bit of your ride if you want.

OP
OP
Chris James

Chris James

Über Member
Hacienda71 said:
If you are going through Wilmslow to Knutsford try to go via the back roads through Morley ... some nice picturesque roads and you can stay off the main roads for that bit of your ride if you want.

Thanks, that's the sort of thing I am after:smile:

JohnW

I would say that you thoughts on the route from Great Budworth are about right, I would say Great Budworth, Comberbach, Acton Bridge, Crowton, Hatchmere, Mouldsworth and then into Chester would be a good way to go. I have ridden all of that and apart from a very short stretch on the A49 over the river at Acton Bridge it is a really nice, pretty quiet route.

dodgy

Long one way rides are great, you get a great satisfaction from getting to somewhere a long way from home, as opposed to the usual circular / out and back day rides.

dodgy

Forgot to mention, you could ride SSW to get to near Macclesfield then pick up the Cheshire Cycleway into Chester.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Depending what bike you are on, if you are starting in Marple you could do worse than the Middlewood way to Macc then from Macc take the back roads through Mottram St Andrew to Wilmslow

OP
OP
Chris James

Chris James

Über Member
JohnW said:
I would say that you thoughts on the route from Great Budworth are about right, I would say Great Budworth, Comberbach, Acton Bridge, Crowton, Hatchmere, Mouldsworth and then into Chester would be a good way to go. I have ridden all of that and apart from a very short stretch on the A49 over the river at Acton Bridge it is a really nice, pretty quiet route.

I knew the roads around there quite well as a kid - probably forgotten them now! The bit I am struggling with most is around Manchester as, without knowing side roads, it seems inevitable I'll end up picking busy main roads for some sections.

Top Bottom