Roads 'too dangerous' for cyclists BBC poll suggests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
You hear that a lot but I often feel it's just something people say as an excuse, remove their safety fears and they still wouldn't cycle.
Being told the roads are dangerous by the organisations which are there to promote cycling doesn't help matter. Yes there are some people who use it as yet another excuse but there are people who come to Cambridge & start cycling until they read spokes persons for organisations like the CCC saying that the roads are dangerous & so stop cycling.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Being told the roads are dangerous by the organisations which are there to promote cycling doesn't help matter. Yes there are some people who use it as yet another excuse but there are people who come to Cambridge & start cycling until they read spokes persons for organisations like the CCC saying that the roads are dangerous & so stop cycling.

Yeah, but that's politics, they don't feel they can go out and say 'everything is great, we're all safe to cycle' because they want leverage to get changes made. We live in a world where 'everything is adequate now, people cycle safely every day' is a slogan that will see nothing changed.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
As an anecdote, I'll give you a quote from a woman on our work bulletin board yesterday: -
Does anyone know of any groups that are for beginner cyclists (only bought a bike yesterday).
If not has anyone got any good routes around the Gosforth/Seascale area that I dont have to cycle on the road.

This is someone who has done the buying a bike, but is currently scared of riding it on what are, other than one, low traffic roads.

(For the record I've passed on some info on the local breeze rides, and some off-road gravel tracks, and suggested she books herself on the next batch of bikeability training that we run through work).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Yeah, but that's politics, they don't feel they can go out and say 'everything is great, we're all safe to cycle' because they want leverage to get changes made. .
Everything *isn't* great though - driving around me is mostly indifferent in quality (I get room if there is room, otherwise, the driver doesn't mind a skimming pass) with a leavening of actively good, and actively malicious (some of the latter from local bus drivers, genuinely terrifying on a couple of memorable occasions). A lot of drivers wilfully distract themselves from the task with phones &c. What should be reasonably pleasant residential roads are congested rat runs full of people desperate to shave a couple of minutes from their journey. Cycle facilities are disjointed and can make riding more dangerous (both by their crappy design, and by the conviction drivers have that you must use them) at best, they meander all over the bloody place, giving way to anything else wherever possible.

I'm "lucky" in that I like cycling enough to keep going despite the hassle and near misses. Someone who just wanted to get to work? I understand completely why they might try a couple of times and then bin it.

Big Nick

Sounds like a classic case of the fear being believed over the actual reality of the danger

Keep off A roads wherever possible and use what cycle lanes there are if you do and the danger is minimised I've found

vickster

Legendary Member
Even though I still cycle on pretty heavily trafficked roads, I do feel less safe now than before the accident. Possibly because just coming off the bike at an average speed caused me a really nasty injury. Statistically, cycling may be safe but accidents do occur every day ultimately with no one going out of their way to cause them. It's very hard to mitigate or legislate for that

Humans make mistakes in judgement, be it an experienced driver making a misjudgement of the road and other road users (as in my case), someone simply not looking properly at a junction, or a cyclist going up the inside of a truck (or finding themselves there)

More space for all road users is the aim. Unfortunately, I fear the UK and its infrastructure is simply too small to accommodate everyone to their absolute satisfaction and in harmony all of the time :sad:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Everything *isn't* great though - driving around me is mostly indifferent in quality (I get room if there is room, otherwise, the driver doesn't mind a skimming pass) with a leavening of actively good, and actively malicious (some of the latter from local bus drivers, genuinely terrifying on a couple of memorable occasions). A lot of drivers wilfully distract themselves from the task with phones &c. What should be reasonably pleasant residential roads are congested rat runs full of people desperate to shave a couple of minutes from their journey. Cycle facilities are disjointed and can make riding more dangerous (both by their crappy design, and by the conviction drivers have that you must use them) at best, they meander all over the bloody place, giving way to anything else wherever possible.

I'm "lucky" in that I like cycling enough to keep going despite the hassle and near misses. Someone who just wanted to get to work? I understand completely why they might try a couple of times and then bin it.

utterly brilliant post.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Sounds like a classic case of the fear being believed over the actual reality of the danger

Keep off A roads wherever possible and use what cycle lanes there are if you do and the danger is minimised I've found
I'm not sure staying off A roads in cities is a particularly good bit of advice. In London, where there is a better than average bike use, many of the cyclepseudohighways mingle with A roads, and the presence of bus lanes make for relatively fast travelling during peak travelling times.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Post of the year so far for me.

TLH has a bike now. We have a tandem. She thinks I am certifiable insane to ride/commute cross-country peak hours based on what she has experienced of a weekend out on local trips with me. I now have to text her when I set off fomr work with an eta for getting home. It was easier, and she was way more relaxed, before she started riding!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Even though I still cycle on pretty heavily trafficked roads, I do feel less safe now than before the accident. Possibly because just coming off the bike at an average speed caused me a really nasty injury. Statistically, cycling may be safe but accidents do occur every day ultimately with no one going out of their way to cause them. It's very hard to mitigate or legislate for that

Humans make mistakes in judgement, be it an experienced driver making a misjudgement of the road and other road users (as in my case), someone simply not looking properly at a junction, or a cyclist going up the inside of a truck (or finding themselves there)

More space for all road users is the aim. Unfortunately, I fear the UK and its infrastructure is simply too small to accommodate everyone to their absolute satisfaction and in harmony all of the time :sad:
I beg to differ.

To quote @John the Monkey
A lot of drivers wilfully distract themselves from the task with phones &c. What should be reasonably pleasant residential roads are congested rat runs full of people desperate to shave a couple of minutes from their journey.
Some, too many, drivers are going out of their way to drive badly ime

martint235

Dog on a bike
I beg to differ.

Some, too many, drivers don't actually register the fact that I'm there to go out of their way to drive badly around me. I actually find this more depressing than those drivers that do drive badly around me because they hate cyclists. I don't think it's because they are distracted per se, it's because they just have no sense of care outside of their box.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm not sure staying off A roads in cities is a particularly good bit of advice. In London, where there is a better than average bike use, many of the cyclepseudohighways mingle with A roads, and the presence of bus lanes make for relatively fast travelling during peak travelling times.
Now here's a thing, stuff cycle-lanes, (mostly they're crapp) and instead build more bus lanes at the expense of car space. Several birds killed with one stone.
London is actually one of the best and easiest cities to ride around thanks to a lot of bus lanery.

vickster

Legendary Member
I beg to differ.

Well the driver who knocked me off wasn't on the phone, not distracted as far as I know but he probably was in the wrong lane for where he wanted to go, like about 90% of drivers at that junction as two lanes merge into one. He misjudged the gap and the fact that cyclists can be wobbly when out of the saddle trying to get away from lights.

Unlike many on here it seems, I do believe that accidents happen that no one means to happen (I've been involved in them myself). We don't live in a perfect world (not even the Dutch do when it comes to cyclists, the infrastructure is simply better and uk issues are not the fault of road users per se).

Top Bottom