Roadside finds in 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A wallet containing credit cards and all the guys HGV driving permits and licence. I traced him via the internet and rang him.

He came round to collect them and brought 2 boxes of chocolate and a bottle of wine as a thank you. I have never seen a guy so happy to get his property back. Without his licence and permits he would not have been able to work as a long distance lorry driver. He was due to drive to Poland that evening and had no idea he had lost his wallet.

13 rider

Guru
What about the bloke?
I lived to tell the tail and hear about the incident constantly

What about the gate?
The gate also lived until I go back with an angle grinder and exact my revenge :ph34r:

Found a wallet with cards and driving License . Had a business card in it for the owner rang to say Id found it checked the address and delivered it back at the end of my ride just to rack up more miles . Owner was not in so just posted it through letter box

I don't have a use for them at the moment.

I am a bit of a magpie. I pick things up that I can potentially use at some point. Usually bits of clean steel that I can cut/fabricate and use with the electric welder for one purpose or another.

I tend to ignore rusty pieces due to the time it would take to clean up.

If I don't find a use for the ball bearings they will probably end up on flea bay as catapult ammo.^_^

Tommy2

Über Member
I did see a nice looking tweed flat cap a while back, I didn't stop to pick it up but I should have cos I was after one but didn't want to pay for one, thought about it for a few days after.
A deer head sticking out of the verge, didn't quite realise what it was til I was level with it and made me shiver a little as it was late evening and very quite (the roads and the deers) also didn't pick that up.

Found a drivers licence and posted it back to the owner.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
An electric lawnmower, about 150m from the nearest houses (2; the next nearest was half a mile or so)
It was there for about 2 1/2 weeks before it vanished.

johnnyb47

Guru
I found a birds nest on the road last year which by a miracle still had the chicks in it. I managed to climb up the tree it fell from and wedge the nest back in situ.
I sat across the road and watched and thankfully its parents came back to feed them up again. The chicks were making a right old racket when I picked them up. Apart from that I've not seen anything lying around apart from the odd dead badger ( blimey they stink to high heaven ;-/)

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
A mobile phone in three bits, put it back together found it worked, phoned home number, the guy was about 5 miles away, he drove down to pick it up, gave us 20 quid, i was happy bought a round of drinks when we got back to the pub, That was about two years ago, before that a pac a mac, that i still use.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
A debit card - luckily, it belonged to a lady just a couple of houses down (I asked one of their neighbours whether they recognised the name on the card).

A sort of bolt thing - very handy for putting an unshipped chain back on the chainwheel without getting my hands dirty.

Several Philips head screws and an industrial staple. Sadly my tyres "found" these before I spotted them.

Ganymede

Veteran
I don't have a use for them at the moment.

I am a bit of a magpie. I pick things up that I can potentially use at some point. Usually bits of clean steel that I can cut/fabricate and use with the electric welder for one purpose or another.

I tend to ignore rusty pieces due to the time it would take to clean up.

If I don't find a use for the ball bearings they will probably end up on flea bay as catapult ammo.^_^
I read your reply having just read a local police report. Bloke just got arrested for pinging a lead ball at a vehicle with a catapult. Being charged with possessing an offensive weapon.

Must say I applaud your thrifty magpie-ing, I do it myself all the time. I am currently using an old rusty iron tool head to infuse iron into a dyebath to darken my dye.

Alan O

Über Member
The only thing I've found that is cycle related is an allen key - not sure what size, but it's in with all my others now.

I do find lots of coins - usually 1p, 2p and 5p. Among the local scum (er, I mean, the charming youth of my home city) it's fashionable to discard such denominations as a sign of affluence. I also occasionally pick up a 10p or 20p, and a couple of times I've found pound coins. I probably picked up about £20 over the year - not a fortune, but more than enough to keep me in inner tubes.

Will Spin

Über Member
Several mattresses, a deconstructed bathroom, many discarded fast food containers, and lemonade bottles half full of a suspicious looking liquid (probably not lemonade).

Top Bottom