Roasting potatoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pplpilot

Guru
Ask a hundred people how to do roasties you get a hundred different answers.

Peel potatoes and cut into chunks. Leave in a pan of well-salted water for several hours.

Drain, cover with fresh water but no salt.

Parboil til *just* tender - i.e. if you stick a skewer in, it goes in but there's still some resistance.

Drain, then clap lid on pan and give a good shake.

Season well with pepper and whatever else floats your boat.

Tip the potatoes into a roasting tray with a good half inch depth of smoking hot beef dripping and a few spoons of garlic oil.

Roast until crispy, turning regularly.

P.S. You do need a good floury potato for these.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Two words: Aunt Bessie's

;)

As a Yorkshireman (or a least a resident!) you need to go wash your mouth out son. :tongue:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Thinking t through I think it was the oil.

They were in the oven for about fifteen before I put the oil in. They would have dried quite quickly - perhaps the oil crushing them keeps the moisture in?

Or boiled them too much.

They were a bit fluffy, but those were the "chuffed"* bits that crisped so well.

*@fnaar

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Two words: Aunt Bessie's

;)
My mother's an excellent cook... nowt corden-blair mind... just proper food for northern folk; meat & three veg, corned beef hash, sausage chip and egg.
I always complimented her roast potatoes, but she never told me her secret until i found them in the freezer. There's more important things to do than faff about making proper roasties.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
My mother's an excellent cook... nowt corden-blair mind... just proper food for northern folk; meat & three veg, corned beef hash, sausage chip and egg.
I always complimented her roast potatoes, but she never told me her secret until i found them in the freezer. There's more important things to do than faff about making proper roasties.

<pain>

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Thinking t through I think it was the oil.

They were in the oven for about fifteen before I put the oil in. They would have dried quite quickly - perhaps the oil crushing them keeps the moisture in?

Or boiled them too much.

They were a bit fluffy, but those were the "chuffed"* bits that crisped so well.

*@fnaar

I wouldn't put them in the oven dry, as yes it will dry the potatoes out. I put mine into preheated oil and then make sure they are covered before they get into the oven. I then turn them over and spoon some of the oil over them about half way through cooking. It works for me (and did today) :smile: :mrpig:

Top Bottom