Roasting potatoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Interesting fact...

..."par-boil" has completely reversed its meaning. Originally it meant to boil until completely done but was so frequently misunderstood as "part-boil" that that is now its meaning.

As you were

Wha...? When did that happen?

TVC

Just have chips instead.
Interesting, do you par boil your chips first then freeze like Heston does, before giving them the two fries at different temperatures? Or do you just dollop the McCains out onto a tray and bung them in the oven?

Interesting, do you par boil your chips first then freeze like Heston does, before giving them the two fries at different temperatures? Or do you just dollop the McCains out onto a tray and bung them in the oven?
Depends. Sometimes I par boil, well mostly boil then in a very hot oven with oil for about 20 mins. Though this is verging on the roast potato. If I want proper chips I'd blanch at around 130 in oil, drain and cool, then crisp at around 190.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
You want to start with a nice floury potato... not really really floury as it may fall to pieces when you boil them if you are me and concentrating on the other bits of dinner.... (still might taste nice though). And then roast them in a good tin at the top of the oven. I have one that produces good results for both chips and roast potatoes, just wish it was smaller for the occasions when only a few of us are sitting down to dinner. We probably have roast potatoes most weeks.

Julia9054

Guru
We used to do Heston chips. Bloody delicious!
Have now got rid of the deep fat fryer because it made the house smell so McCains on a tray it is. ☹️

Reactions: TVC

TVC

We used to do Heston chips. Bloody delicious!
Have now got rid of the deep fat fryer because it made the house smell so McCains on a tray it is. ☹️
I've done them the Heston way a couple of times, but mostly it's oven chips for us.

Always proper roasties though.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Once they are steamed off in the pan, put the lid on and give them a good shake to break up the edges - I season them before shaking too.
I always do that for roasties .... I had no idea it was called 'chuffing' though. This is a word I will now never forget! :okay::smile:

Reactions: TVC
Top Bottom