Roasting potatoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommy2

Über Member
Oil and butter in the oven first to get hot then tatties in.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As per lots of suggestions up there ^^^
But... Once the par-boiled potatoes have been 'chuffed', add the lubricant of choice - butter, olive oil, goose fat etc - and swizzle it around to coat the potatoes.
Don't drop them in loads of runny fat... place them in an orderly rows on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper.

25 minutes Gas Mk 6..

Sorted.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I use baking potatoes for everything these days, they are always good. Might be a bit more expensive, but I don't eat many potatoes anyway.

Being a somewhat unreconstructed male I had to ask Mrs N which spuds she uses to make her roast potatoes. Baking potatoes every time

Hers are delicious. So much so, in fact, I never eat a roast dinner whilst out and about as the potatoes are never as good. She does the standard thing of parboiling, then giving them a good shake in the pan to break the edges. Then she puts them in at whatever temperature the meat needs. Only with the proviso that she sometimes bangs the temp up to about 200 when she takes the meat out to crisp them up properly

keithmac

Guru
We had roasties today, cooked in the Lamb juice/ fat. Bloody lovely!.

We get a big bag of spuds off local farmer, delivered for £3 and lasts months, they make great roasties, bakers and chips.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
[QUOTE 5037773, member: 45"]I used to do that, but it squashes the fluffage.[/QUOTE]
Not if you place them carefully on a rounded bit, not the flat cut cross section, so that most of it is available for crispyisation!

U

User482

But do you chuff?

And the oil has to be good and hot so they sizzle as soon at they hit the tray.
I used to, but find that boiling them until very well done works better.

Reactions: TVC

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Hah, I got a job lot of freshly dug spuds for free after a trailer tipped some into the verge. Made the best roasties I've ever had.
I picked up about 20lb of teddies along the lane the other day - spillage from the farmers trailer. Should keep us going for a while.^_^

I picked up about 20lb of teddies along the lane the other day - spillage from the farmers trailer. Should keep us going for a while.^_^

My spillage spoils should keep me in tatties till Xmas. :biggrin: Given where I picked them up (spotted them on a bike ride) I suspect they were prime quality Pipers heading to the local crisp factory. :hungry:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
And why would you, outside of set piece dinners like Christmas? Both Hassleback and Monk's potatoes are tastier, healthier and less faff.
Because of Sunday roast dinners??

Cut them small is my top tip

Top Bottom