Robert Millar Sportive 22nd June 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy knees

Love cycling around the borders, but dont want to be associated with drug taking cheats

Love cycling around the borders, but dont want to be associated with drug taking cheats
so Millar was a doper and east dumbartonshire is now in the borders ? wtf.....two new things I learned
edit - on further investigation it seems Millar got a positive testosterone sample in '92 and received a fine and short suspension. The sportive still avoids the Borders though.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
The tak-ma-doon road near the start is the the hardest hill in the region , after that its an easy route.

Edit, just noticed it comes back over the crow rd so not as easy as I thought .

hitting the crow road at 85 miles is going to be a killer on the legs

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Most of it has been fixed :thumbsup:
when did they fix the road?

I came over the shielbrae climb from stirling at the start of march, that road joins at the end of the the water reservoir, i had planned on coming back over the crow road yet the road was that bad i wrecked my rear wheel, had to buy a new one and i totally ruined my front tyre, also had to be a new front tyre....

U

User6179

when did they fix the road?

I came over the shielbrae climb from stirling at the start of march, that road joins at the end of the the water reservoir, i had planned on coming back over the crow road yet the road was that bad i wrecked my rear wheel, had to buy a new one and i totally ruined my front tyre, also had to be a new front tyre....

They tarred the worst bit along the side of the resvoir ages ago, , i always come west- east and its fine now, the worst bit is at fintry on the other road and sheilbrae is terrible .

It might be that its bad on the downhill to fintry from the reservoir and that I dont notice because Im going that slow up the hill( Ive came up that way 8 times this year according to strava) , sheilbrae the opposite way you did it is like that , when u hit decent to stirling the road is really bad but you dont notice it comming up.

I think the worst bit of this route will be the tak-ma-doon, it was in a right state earlier this year, and the approach to the ford was a nightmare. The last few miles before Aberfoyle are also a disgrace, no way you can open up there or it will be punctures and bust spokes for sure.
Hill wise there is the mini-braes before Callander and there are a couple short stiff pulls along Loch Katrine and a big ring ascent up to the Top o' the World after Fintry, otherwise fairly rolling. Too bad they could not find another 5 miles to make it the full century.

Top Bottom