Robert Millar Sportive 22nd June 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Hi everyone,

I've just found this forum and really pleased there are some posts on it relating to Scotland. I live close to the Campsies and know this cycle route very well. Unfortunately I won't be able to take part in the event due to recent surgery but I will come out and watch at some stages. The Crow Road and the Tak Ma Doon road are my two favourite hills when I am cycling and I've read some concerns about the quality of the road surface. Most of it has now been repaired but it is the Stirling Council areas, such as Fintry, that are shocking and please be mindfull of the ford on the north side of the Tak Ma Doon. They really have to get their act together and I hope these types of organised cycling events will help.

I had planned on taking part in a few events this year but illness has again stepped in and blocked my plans. However, I do hope to be taking part in two events in September but I'm really annoyed at missing out on this one. My story can be read at my blog http://cyclingable.com

Please have a look through it and let me know your thoughts. I have just posted a write up on the Crow Road.

Welcome to the site :welcome:

Read a good part of your blog, great to read your story and how much cycling has helped you along the way :thumbsup:

Some of your pictures are also very good, keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Welcome to the site :welcome:

Read a good part of your blog, great to read your story and how much cycling has helped you along the way :thumbsup:

Some of your pictures are also very good, keep up the good work :thumbsup:
I will try and thank you for your kind comment. Hopefully I should be back on my bike in a month or so and will be able to post some of my runs and discuss events I have entered into. I hope the site can also offer some inspiration and hope to others recovering from major surgery, whether cancer related or not.

Angus444

Hi everyone,

I've just found this forum and really pleased there are some posts on it relating to Scotland. I live close to the Campsies and know this cycle route very well. Unfortunately I won't be able to take part in the event due to recent surgery but I will come out and watch at some stages. The Crow Road and the Tak Ma Doon road are my two favourite hills when I am cycling and I've read some concerns about the quality of the road surface. Most of it has now been repaired but it is the Stirling Council areas, such as Fintry, that are shocking and please be mindfull of the ford on the north side of the Tak Ma Doon. They really have to get their act together and I hope these types of organised cycling events will help.

I had planned on taking part in a few events this year but illness has again stepped in and blocked my plans. However, I do hope to be taking part in two events in September but I'm really annoyed at missing out on this one. My story can be read at my blog http://cyclingable.com

Please have a look through it and let me know your thoughts. I have just posted a write up on the Crow Road.
Interesting blog, Martin. Great pics, and well-written. Get yourself over to Angus sometime for some quiet roads, and challenging hills.

All the best....:smile:

Interesting blog, Martin. Great pics, and well-written. Get yourself over to Angus sometime for some quiet roads, and challenging hills.

All the best....:smile:
Thank you Angus. My Grandparents were from Brechin, Angus and I have a lot of Childhood memories of summer holidays in Angus. It may be nice for me to revisit and cycle around some places.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I ended up signing up for this a few weeks ago.

Received notice that the start has been moved from Kirkintilloch to Fintry. This is putting my participation in doubt, as riding to and from the start is not really going to happen now.

Anyone else doing it and able to offer a ride to the start?

I ended up signing up for this a few weeks ago.

Received notice that the start has been moved from Kirkintilloch to Fintry. This is putting my participation in doubt, as riding to and from the start is not really going to happen now.

Anyone else doing it and able to offer a ride to the start?
Their website is still showing Kirkintilloch as the starting place - http://www.entrycentral.com/index.php?raceID=101386

I was browsing this sub-forum to see if anyone was doing the Trossachs Ton this Sunday...

I didn't even notice that there was a thread for the Robert Millar Sportive. I signed up for it forever ago. :whistle:
I was planning on getting a train to Milngavie and heading round through Strathblane to the start.

It wouldn't be the first time I've ridden a silly distance to the start of a sportive (35 miles to the start of the Obree sportive last year, that was a sore one!)

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I was browsing this sub-forum to see if anyone was doing the Trossachs Ton this Sunday...

I didn't even notice that there was a thread for the Robert Millar Sportive. I signed up for it forever ago. :whistle:
I was planning on getting a train to Milngavie and heading round through Strathblane to the start.

It wouldn't be the first time I've ridden a silly distance to the start of a sportive (35 miles to the start of the Obree sportive last year, that was a sore one!)
Hmm yes, Milngavie could be an option. I am also considering a train to Stirling, which is slightly closer. Much will depend on the starting time.

I'm downgrading from a "probably will participate" to an "unlikely". I started feeling run-down on Saturday, shrugged it off for the Trossachs Sportive but by Monday night was completely floored with fullblown manflu. I've not left the flat since then :cold:
Even the thought of cycling a mile sends me into a coughing fit...

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I'm downgrading from a "probably will participate" to an "unlikely". I started feeling run-down on Saturday, shrugged it off for the Trossachs Sportive but by Monday night was completely floored with fullblown manflu. I've not left the flat since then :cold:
Not looking good for me either. I was in a similar condition Sun-Tue - it's tailing off now, but riding 200km+ with lots of hills is probably not going to happen. I might do the short route, or I might DNS (especially if the weather is poor).

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru

Prob best if you don't feel up for it, nothing worse than cycling when your not quite feeling your best :highfive:

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I set off from home at 7 am intending to do the short route. When I got to Kirkintilloch the heavens opened and I quickly found myself completely drenched. As I approached Lennoxtown I could see the Crow road completely covered in the low clouds. It was at this point I decided to DNS the sportive. These are roads I can do any day of the year - today they would have been utterly miserable.

I still had rule #9 to consider, though, so I could not just turn around and head home. I went west initially intending a short loop home. In the end, however, the weather slowly improved and I added a number of extra bits to my loop, ending with a respectable 95 km. Very good pace too, which was nice.

If the weather is nicer next weekend, I hope to be able to do the loop around Loch Katrine, to make up for the failure today.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/331327297

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
I planned on doing the Dunfermline route again today but sadly got a puncture after mile 18 and was drenched, decided to cut it short but still managed 32 hilly (ish) miles ^_^

Top Bottom