Robert Millar Sportive 22nd June 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
I set off from home at 7 am intending to do the short route. When I got to Kirkintilloch the heavens opened and I quickly found myself completely drenched. As I approached Lennoxtown I could see the Crow road completely covered in the low clouds. It was at this point I decided to DNS the sportive. These are roads I can do any day of the year - today they would have been utterly miserable.

I still had rule #9 to consider, though, so I could not just turn around and head home. I went west initially intending a short loop home. In the end, however, the weather slowly improved and I added a number of extra bits to my loop, ending with a respectable 95 km. Very good pace too, which was nice.

If the weather is nicer next weekend, I hope to be able to do the loop around Loch Katrine, to make up for the failure today.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/331327297
Pussy

tug benson

At least when I do rides I have real excuses for not finishing them. Rain is not an excuse.... What are the men coming to in this country???????

I set off from home at 7 am intending to do the short route. When I got to Kirkintilloch the heavens opened and I quickly found myself completely drenched. As I approached Lennoxtown I could see the Crow road completely covered in the low clouds. It was at this point I decided to DNS the sportive. These are roads I can do any day of the year - today they would have been utterly miserable.

I still had rule #9 to consider, though, so I could not just turn around and head home. I went west initially intending a short loop home. In the end, however, the weather slowly improved and I added a number of extra bits to my loop, ending with a respectable 95 km. Very good pace too, which was nice.

If the weather is nicer next weekend, I hope to be able to do the loop around Loch Katrine, to make up for the failure today.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/331327297
Nice ride :thumbsup:
Based upon last week's jaunt round Loch Katrine, I recommend midge repellent!

:popcorn:

tug benson

You missed the part where I didn't actually abandon my ride... :thumbsup:

Anyway, I looked, but couldn't find your ride today?
Aye I know , I've done 70 mile on the bike since Saturday....it's rubbish, not to worry I should have everything fixed next week then it will be business as usual

Seamab

Well done Rasmus, i think you were mad setting out given the weather forecast. That's one of the problems with sportives - you've paid the entry fee so feel that you can't DNS.

I managed to get out this afternoon for a short 30 miler in between showers. I've hardly ridden this past 3 weeks due to a virus that i can't seem to shake off completely so it was hard going - lost a fair bit of fitness...

You won't need midge repellent for Loch Katrine (just don't stop!) BTW the "Wee Blether" tearoom at Stronalachar is a good cafe.

Seamab

My shoes are still drying after my ride yesterday, should never have left the house without over shoes :cursing:

You can't win...
I went out with overshoes and longs on Sat and missed the showers but my feet/legs were boiling!
Yesterday i went out for an hour so thought it was safe to leave them off - luckily the rain came on just as i returned. Could do to get a pair of light ones that can go in a pocket if such things are made?

Good dry forecast for the week ahead. Hurrah!

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
You can't win...
I went out with overshoes and longs on Sat and missed the showers but my feet/legs were boiling!
Yesterday i went out for an hour so thought it was safe to leave them off - luckily the rain came on just as i returned. Could do to get a pair of light ones that can go in a pocket if such things are made?

Good dry forecast for the week ahead. Hurrah!

I done the same last sat and it never rained once, i had shorts on too but least it was warm enough for them :bravo:
Yeah overshoes that could fit in your pcoket would be awesome :scratch:

Seamab

I've got some. They don't keep my feet dry, but they do stop the windchill on my wet feet, which makes a big difference to comfort levels.

Colin they sound ideal. Can you provide more detail on brand etc...
I was out today and although it was dry there was a cool headwind and i felt my feet chilled.

OP
OP
Col5632

Col5632

Guru
Mine were made by Shimano. I've had them a long time and couldn't find any exactly the same, but this is the kind of thing I am talking about.

Ah so they are basically just to keep your feet warm but not really dry if the rain comes on, still look pretty decent though :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah so they are basically just to keep your feet warm but not really dry if the rain comes on, still look pretty decent though :thumbsup:
The overshoes that I have are open at the back so your feet don't get full protection from the elements, but they are great for reducing windchill which is usually what makes your feet cold.

They are so thin and lightweight that I could roll them up and put them in a pocket, but I can't remember ever doing that.

They are unobtrusive and are not insulated so it is easy to forget you have them on. The only time that you would really have to remove them is on very hot days if your feet were overheating and you needed them to get a cooling breeze.

Top Bottom