Robjh's wee tour of the Highlands

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

snorri

Legendary Member
I have extra clothes in case of cold weather
It's getting warmer for sure, I noticed the last of the winter snow had melted off my local Ben earlier this week:sun::sun::sun: .

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Just take light waterproofs, it's so hot here now (for our standard) that it is better to get a bit wet than to boil in the bag.
Take a light windproof gilet for the hills, this and a long sleeved baselayer is enough if you like to set out very early in the morning.
It has been very hot from around 10am till late at night.

OP
OP
robjh

robjh

Legendary Member
Just take light waterproofs, it's so hot here now (for our standard) that it is better to get a bit wet than to boil in the bag.
Take a light windproof gilet for the hills, this and a long sleeved baselayer is enough if you like to set out very early in the morning.
But Pat, you're in sunny Glasgae, that's almost the tropics compared to where I'm going.
Nonetheless, I think you may be onto something. Ignore the rain here, but just look at those temperatures
upload_2016-7-30_22-53-29.png

(exits to retrieve a layer of clothing from the bottom of a pannier)

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
(exits to retrieve a layer of clothing from the bottom of a pannier)

I predict that winter will be arriving significantly ahead of schedule this year. :laugh:

Mollydoo

Regular
I've just bought my return train tickets to Inverness for this Sunday 31st July, so now there's no going back.
After a protracted struggle with Virgin East Coast website and customer services I have reserved cycle spaces as far as Edinburgh. This was so convoluted that it defeated the booking staff at my local station.
I've booked a £13 bed in a hostel in Edinburgh for Sunday night. It may be great or I may be kept awake all night by partying multi-national teens, but it is central, it offers bike parking and gives me a chance for a bit of sightseeing in Scotland's capital.

Then next day: no-one has been able to tell me if my onward train ticket to Inverness will be valid after a break of journey, so I will either carry on by train to Inverness, or make new plans. Either way, the adventure really starts there.

I've got a tent with me and some anti-midge stuff, but have found the Scottish Independent Hostels website which might be life savers on rainy or bitey nights. As for destinations, I'll be heading north-west, and hope at least to cross Bealach na Ba, and could conceivably reach Cape Wrath. Or not. I have 10 or so days and no need to fix my plans too far in advance.

Anyway, just off to start packing.
What an adventure love the idea of having no real fixed plans. Are you on your own, with just all your kit on your bike? So you are just stopping as you need to overnight. Sounds great, keep us posted

AnneW

Über Member
Have a great time! Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

Avon Skin So Soft is as good as it gets for midges. But the best thing you can do is get a good bite cream, coz sure as eggs is eggs the little blighters will win. It doesn't stop Scotland being wonderful though.

Enjoy :smile:

Top Bottom